Hot to get english desktop with danish keyboard? (bug?)
I'm trying to get Knoppix 3.2 (beta 2003-03-28) to boot in english language and with danish keyboard support, but I cannot succeed. I used to do it in Knoppix 3.1 (beta 2003-01-20) using the following code in the boot-floppy setup:
Code:
APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
I've tried the same in 3.2, and also using lang=us instead of lang=en, but in both cases I end up with a german desktop(?!). Danish keyboard works fine however.
Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
The CD-image is
KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-28-EN.iso
and I made my boot-floppy with the command
rawrite2 -f boot-en.img -d A
With default settings on floppy I start up an english desktop.
Stig.
[/b]
Re: Hot to get english desktop with danish keyboard? (bug?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig
Code:
APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
Stig.
[/b]
You boot with the APPEND command line first? Never tried that before. Did you try:
boot: knoppix lang=us keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
Re: Hot to get english desktop with danish keyboard? (bug?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig
Code:
APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
You boot with the APPEND command line first?
No, its the second line. The first three lines in SYSLINUX.CFG are:
Code:
DEFAULT vmlinuz
APPEND lang=en keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Did you try:
boot: knoppix lang=us keyboard=da wheelmouse xkeyboard=dk ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
You mean with lang=us instead of lang=en? Yes I tried that. Same result.
Stig.
Re: Hot to get english desktop with danish keyboard? (bug?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig
You mean with lang=us instead of lang=en? Yes I tried that. Same result.
Stig.
DOH! Obviously had I read your first post I would have seen that you had tried that. sorry! :oops:
Here is a link to a post about the same thing. Hopefully these instructions will get you fixed up. Once you get your desktop switched just make sure that your log in manager (in the control center) is set to save the current desktop. It might be easiest for you to boot the cd, check out the 'control center' so that you are familiar with it then boot to your installation to make the changes. Post back if necessary.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1421
Re: Hot to get english desktop with danish keyboard? (bug?)
Hi "rickenbacherus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Here is a link to a post about the same thing. Hopefully these instructions will get you fixed up.
You're refering to your post at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6322#6322 ?
Well, I got to the step where I have to enter a password to go in "Administrator Mode". Eh, whats my password? I've newer been asked to choose a password?
Well, I problably have to tell which kind of Linux/Knoppix user I am. A complete newbie :lol:
I've been trying Knoppix 3.1 briefly before (ie. 2-3 boots just looking around), and at that time I easily sat it up to boot as I wanted, only by changing the first APPEND-line on my boot-floopy. Trying the same setup with Knoppix 3.2 boot-floopy doesn't seem to work. To change settings in the Control Center I apparently have to create a root-account somehow (or find the password, the account is there problably already?), and then find out how to save my configuration on the HD, right?
Maybe your answer is "yes, and go and read the documention". And in that case its a fine answer... But since I've newer created a root-acount, newer been in the Control Center before and don't know how to save settings on my HD, I can't imagine my problems is caused by I've accidently changed some setting somewhere. I'm just saying this because I'm unsure if you think I've changed some setup somewhere by accident?