compiling, depackaging, un- zipping, oh my.
I am really into Knoppix and the whole idea of linux, and I find it great that there are still a few good people in this world who don't just want to make a profit off everything. I have a really pressing question though. Why is it so difficult to install stuff on Knoppix? Why can't everything be downloaded, (I can't believe I'm saying this) like windows stuff, and just a click will bring up the installation wizard? Is it because Linus just didn't program Linux that way? Just wondering,
mimes.
Re: compiling, depackaging, un- zipping, oh my.
Howdy mimes,
>>
Why is it so difficult to install stuff on Knoppix? Why can't everything be downloaded, (I can't believe I'm saying this) like windows stuff, and just a click will bring up the installation wizard? Is it because Linus just didn't program Linux that way? Just wondering,
>>
No, it's got nothing to do with LT, in fact, it has nothing to do with the kernel directly.
"Why is it so difficult" ...
It's not really, i think you just may be a little
unfamiliar with Linuxs' packaging systems. The
windows wizard method only seems easier, probably
because thats just what your used to. It is
inherently insecure though. Any errors or
bugs in the windows program will also, seemlessly
go on to your system, as well as the package :).
But they all have their quirks of course. As
mentioned above, Knoppix being a deb, it
uses the "dpkg", "apt" system, with some front
end choice.
As you get used to it, you will find it more
convieniant, than what your used to, and as
mentioned above ... it is better, method ...
safer and more flexible.
Your being very general though. And as some bumps
with a new technique are to be expected. If you post specifics on what problems
yourv'e had with it, then some one will be sure
to have some information to solve what ever it may be.
jm