Newish laptops running Knoppix -- pls post here
If you have a new or newish laptop that SUCCESSFULLY boots Knoppix, then PLEASE post (a) version of Knoppix, and (b) the model number and cpu details here. Does all hardware work? Did you need cheatcodes etc?
I'm having a hard time finding ones that I know will boot (given that store managers are often not happy about letting me try booting livecds). There is an astounding lack of information on the web concerning Knoppix on new laptops. :!:
Re: Newish laptops running Knoppix -- pls post here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoofDeF
If you have a new or newish laptop that SUCCESSFULLY boots Knoppix, then PLEASE post (a) version of Knoppix, and (b) the model number and cpu details here. Does all hardware work? Did you need cheatcodes etc?
HP Pavillion ze4240 / Athlon moble XP CPU
Knoppix 3.1 booted fine. Everything worked (everything I tested anyway, sound was good, network worked immidately on boot through my router.) I did not test the built-in modem and had no expectation that it would work. I resized the NTFS partition to make space for a FAT partition on the disk (so I could write files to the disk). I did not install to disk.
I used it for about a month with no problems. One day I finally allowed XP to install the "security updates" that it had been nagging about. After that event I could no longer get on the network. The details of that are in this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
and this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
With either version 3.3 or 3.4 (sorry, I forget which) I suddenly could no longer boot (I would hang during the boot). I tried a lot of cheat codes but nothing worked. Old versions continued to boot properly. About 6 months later (not to say I put 6 months of work into this one thing) I finally found that a combination of two cheat codes, noscsi and acpi=off, would allow the system to work. I have had to use these codes ever since. By the way, these codes also get me past the NIC problem I mentioned above, so I no longer have to do the manual reset and netcardconfig that I explained in the above threads.
I have a Belkin 802.11b PCMCIA card (ver. 2101) and also a Dlink DWL-650 802.11b PCMCIA wireless card for the notebook. I have never gotten either to work with Knoppix or any live Linux CD. Again, I have not installed to hard drive and I am not trying to get the wrapper and such to work from a CD boot, but neither card seems to be supported by Knoppix. It would be nice if Knoppix, or at least some of the more hacker orriented live CD's would support either of these wireless cards, but I can live without it.