Knoppix Hacks Book problem
ok you all know the knoppix Hacks book....good book , but i have problem..i have written about it in a few other post ..I have been attempting to create a remastered kiosk cd. I have been hammering away at getting a kiosk setup. I need a knoppix cd remastered(reduced in size dont need all that stuff) and that boots into kiosk mode.
I have managed to work out getting the cd reduced in size, thanks to tthe book and post on here on how to. And i have the bootable cd in kiosk mode working. It opens up mozilla with all the settings and goes to the exact site i want. However problem it only works on the development machine i used to create it. :(
I need this cd to boot into kiosk mode on other machines. When i insert it into other machines i get error at end of booting ...it says "unable to find suitable xserver for your specific card" what that mean?
ok so i thought hum if it only work on my machine perfectly and not on others when i am remastering it and making comrpessed .iso image of it i am somehow copying setting from the development computer i do not want to(specifically the xserver, XF86 stuff maybe?).
So I did some more hunting around, and reading out of book and find it says in hack#21 pg.63-64 to only save personal configuration settings if you plan to take the cd to other computers. Ok so i do this and probelm now the cd refuses to boot into kiosk mode :( what wrong? even though all the setting for browser and stuff is there. I have put into kiosk mode.
by doing the
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix] sudo sh -c "echo 'DESKTOP=\"kiosk\"' > etc/sysconfig/desktop"
knoppix@ttyo0[knoppix] sudo init 2 && sudo init 5
commands
I need it to boot immediatly into kiosk mode - no typing( the peope using kiosk are not to have access to the shell.
again i have it booting from cd into kiosk mode immediatly but only works on development machine :(
basically i used hack #94 to remaster cd then hack #24 to make kiosk and end of #24 hack to "Remaster a Kiosk Disc"
anyone understand what is going on...and can help please?
Re: Knoppix Hacks Book problem
Hi,
Check whether you have removed the file "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" or not 8) . If my guess is right then the file is still lying in your remaster and it is using that file with setting of computer on which you remastered and is not creating a new one.
To solve the problem, if the file is there, remove the file XF86Config-4 from remaster source, compress and make iso again.
Post the results.......
Re: Knoppix Hacks Book problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by empress101
ok you all know the knoppix Hacks book....good book , but i have problem..i have written about it in a few other post ..I have been attempting to create a remastered kiosk cd. I have been hammering away at getting a kiosk setup. I need a knoppix cd remastered(reduced in size dont need all that stuff) and that boots into kiosk mode.
Glad you like the book :) I understand that you don't need all the programs, but sometimes overengineering a remastered CD makes things a lot more complicated. You could even potentially create a kiosk CD without decompressing the KNOPPIX filesystem at all just by putting the knoppix.sh and configs.tbz file in the KNOPPIX directory like the hack mentions. But in either case, I think the cause of your problem is possibly sitting in the configs.tbz file (see below)
Quote:
I have managed to work out getting the cd reduced in size, thanks to tthe book and post on here on how to. And i have the bootable cd in kiosk mode working. It opens up mozilla with all the settings and goes to the exact site i want. However problem it only works on the development machine i used to create it. :(
I need this cd to boot into kiosk mode on other machines. When i insert it into other machines i get error at end of booting ...it says "unable to find suitable xserver for your specific card" what that mean?
Basically it sounds to me that the saveconfig saved your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to configs.tbz, which is overwriting your config that Knoppix generates, but it looks like you guys have already figured that out, and you are already on the right track:
Quote:
ok so i thought hum if it only work on my machine perfectly and not on others when i am remastering it and making comrpessed .iso image of it i am somehow copying setting from the development computer i do not want to(specifically the xserver, XF86 stuff maybe?).
So I did some more hunting around, and reading out of book and find it says in hack#21 pg.63-64 to only save personal configuration settings if you plan to take the cd to other computers. Ok so i do this and probelm now the cd refuses to boot into kiosk mode :( what wrong? even though all the setting for browser and stuff is there. I have put into kiosk mode.
by doing the
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix] sudo sh -c "echo 'DESKTOP=\"kiosk\"' > etc/sysconfig/desktop"
knoppix@ttyo0[knoppix] sudo init 2 && sudo init 5
commands
You are right, since you aren't just using this disc as a kiosk for a single class of machine (a lot of kiosks are often run on almost identical hardware) you don't want to copy that XF86Config file. Copying just the personal configuration almost gives you all the files you need, except for 2. /etc/sysconfig/desktop and /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession. So what you can do is run saveconfig and save only your personal configuration. Let's say that you save the configs.tbz file in /mnt/sda1. All you need to do is add the two extra files:
Code:
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo bunzip2 /mnt/sda1/configs.tbz
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo tar -rpPf /mnt/sda1/sysadmin/configs.tar /etc/sysconfig/desktop /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo BZIP2=-9 bzip2 /mnt/sda1/configs.tar
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mv /mnt/sda1/configs.tar.bz2 /mnt/sda1/configs.tbz
This basically unzips the config tarball, appends those two files, then zips it back up. Now you can put that configs.tbz file on a newly-remastered CD and the X config files shouldn't get in your way any longer.
hack 24 from knoppix hacks on creating a kiosk
I downloaded the lastest knoppix iso, (july 2006, v5.0).
I then used the installer script to create a knoppix installation on the hard disk. So far, this is great. Then I wanted to create a kiosk so I followed the instructions in the knoppix hacks book. The instructions were straightforward. I did question the last section becuase there were no expanatory notes as to why the section to modify 45xsession was listed twice.
However, the changes seem to make sense. In short the hack does the following:
1) creates a .kiosk.html file that has javascript that opens a browser window with specific controlls
2) set the mozilla prefs to permit javascript to close a window
3) set the home page to be the .kiosk.html
4) modfies the 45xsession file to include a section to start mozilla
5) modifeds /etc/sysconfig/desktop to start the kiosk section created in the 45xsession file
The problem is that when I start in kiosk mode knoppix opens mozilla and then closes it again -- and again and again without permitting any user interaction with the browser. And since the xsession file specified to restart mozilla if it ever closes -- I have an infinite loop.
I thought I had a problem with the javascript created in step 1 so I removed any reference to window.close -- and finally remove ALL javascript. This didn't help. Finally I set the mozilla home page to be a completely different file. This didn't help.
I am hoping someone here can suggest a fix. The issue is that mozilla starts, the closes -- and starts and closes...
Any pointers?