kpackage doesn't work in V3.2-2003-03-30de
I have installed knoppix 3.2 (03-03-30de) on the hd using knx-hdinstall. There was a message like "cp cannot stat ./alternatives/openoffice" everything else seems ok. I had no problems working withs the system afterwards.
When I tried to change some packages I couldn't use kpackage. There is no problem starting kpackage. The apt-update is working to.
But whenever I try to add, upgrade or remove a package I get the message "exec failed: No such file or directory" without further information.
Does anybody know what is missing? How can I fix this problem?
rla
Kpackage continues to not work
Kpackage continues to not work , i have downloaded the lastest versions and this problem continues. Does anyone have a solution? Have the authors read about this problem as for my point of view this is a major step backward as it does not permit me to implement updates or the installation of new programs resulting in limiting substantially the future of Knoppix. :cry: :cry:
Re: Kpackage continues to not work
Quote:
Originally Posted by tester
it does not permit me to implement updates or the installation of new programs resulting in limiting substantially the future of Knoppix. :cry: :cry:
You can't install packages without Kpackage? Kpackage works fine for me but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. IMHO it would be advantageous to learn to do things without the GUI. I realize that if you are accustomed to windows point and click mentality this may seem to be difficult but it really isn't. You can use apt-get, you can download .debs and use Midnight Commander to install them. It is very easy to install packages from source as well.
Re: Kpackage continues to not work
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tester
it does not permit me to implement updates or the installation of new programs resulting in limiting substantially the future of Knoppix. :cry: :cry:
You can't install packages without Kpackage? Kpackage works fine for me but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. IMHO it would be advantageous to learn to do things without the GUI. I realize that if you are accustomed to windows point and click mentality this may seem to be difficult but it really isn't. You can use apt-get, you can download .debs and use Midnight Commander to install them. It is very easy to install packages from source as well.
Well, for me kpackage is a very nice way to browse thru the thousands of debian pkgs there are and choose which ones to install. It saves me time, which is something I have so little of nowadays...:roll: and IMO dselect is a pain. Apt works nice for small numbers of packages but for browsing thru the listings...kpackage.
Thought I this problem licked earlier. A fresh install solved it but after running updates it came back. Still no idea what's going on here. Sigh. Any ideas anyone?
Burning midnight electrons tonite...
Andy
(BTW, I'm new to Knoppix and this forum, although not to Linux - thanks guys! Knoppix is really slick! ) :-)