Copy file to another Windows PC or USB device
Hi,
This is my first time using Knoppix to recover WinXP Pro SP2 files. I was able to create bootable Knoppix cd and see the WinXP hard disk, even get to the data, but I can't copy data to shared folder on another Windows system. I can see the domain, server and shared folder but when I attempt to copy I get this error: Access Denied. Could not write to smb://administrator@joe/docs/outlook.pst
I don't have any encryption, everyone has full rights to this folder, am I missing a step?
Another option would be to copy files to a USB memory key, but I have no clue where to look for it, using Knoppix 3.7.
Please respond using clarification as well instructions for dummies (I found the console), it's my first time using Knoppix and I’m lost … as donkey. If I have to mount a volume or mount a USB with read/write rights, I haven't been able to figure that out.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Trying to retrieve data off windows laptop...
Hi
My windows XP laptop has died and one of the guys at work suggested I use Knobbix. I have used Linux a little before and forgot how fun it was to use - so I've managed to install it and can find my files but I'm having the usual problems..
trying to mount a USB pen drive - I have seen countless examples like the one above on mounting the drive but what I have not been able to deduce is the answer to the same question the original poster asked :
"How can I tell what the USB device is named: is it /dev/sda1 or /dev/uba1, is there some type of standard?"
I've been trying everyway I can think off to get my files off - I would use ftp but can't seem to get a connection to the internet (although I can get to my router's web based admin), I have tried to mount the usb drive but can't seem to find out what the device is named - my usb fob is *not* automatically mounted if I start the machine up with it installed nor does an icon appear if I plug it in.
I can also see my machine in the network in Samba but when I attempt to logon I get a login prompt - access is still denied despite me entering the correct windows login information.
THanks in advance for any light anyone can shed