there are 5 iso files, do I download all of these and put on
I am a newbie here so bare with me. I am trying to download and then burn the knopixx iso .
when i got to the ftp site i found it gives 5 knoppix iso files to download.
the first one I have downloaded, but not burned yet. there is a zip file on the desktop and the the iso images are in a folder i selected.
Question 1 Do i need to download the other iso files that are grouped with it???
12/09/2004 12:31PM 732,942,336 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
12/09/2004 12:39PM 65 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5
12/09/2004 12:39PM 408 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5.asc
12/09/2004 12:55PM 73 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1
12/09/2004 12:55PM 416 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1.asc
12/09/2004 01:36PM 832 README
Do i download all of those? and also Can i put it on dvd? or it must go on cd?
how do i get it all on cd?? The first file seems to large for 1 cd, but that is the one I have downloaded and it is sittin on pc. what next??? i read the FAQ, but newbie doesnt understand all of it.
thanks in advance :?
Re: there are 5 iso files, do I download all of these and pu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticWhite
.... there is a zip file on the desktop and the the iso images are in a folder i selected.
I doubt very much that there is a zip file. I suggest that you make sure that windows does not hide extensions from you, it's a "feature" that should always be turned off. You only need one ISO, one that ends in EN for Englisg or DE for German. If you are not using Bittorrent than you really need the md5 file too and to check the md5 sum before burning. And, if you are asking these questions, it's likely that you will burn it wrong unless you read the downloading faq.
Re: there are 5 iso files, do I download all of these and pu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticWhite
I am a newbie here so bare with me. I am trying to download and then burn the knopixx iso .
when i got to the ftp site i found it gives 5 knoppix iso files to download.
the first one I have downloaded, but not burned yet. there is a zip file on the desktop and the the iso images are in a folder i selected.
Question 1 Do i need to download the other iso files that are grouped with it???
12/09/2004 12:31PM 732,942,336 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
12/09/2004 12:39PM 65 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5
12/09/2004 12:39PM 408 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5.asc
12/09/2004 12:55PM 73 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1
12/09/2004 12:55PM 416 KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.sha1.asc
12/09/2004 01:36PM 832 README
Do i download all of those? and also Can i put it on dvd? or it must go on cd?
how do i get it all on cd?? The first file seems to large for 1 cd, but that is the one I have downloaded and it is sittin on pc. what next??? i read the FAQ, but newbie doesnt understand all of it.
thanks in advance :?
I think Harry pretty much summed this up. :) Only one of these is the iso file, the md5 file is used to validate whether the file is corrupted or not (sometimes when downloading from a server there can be a screw-up and the file can become corrupt, the md5 file is used in a program that makes sure the file you downloaded is not corrupt). I don't recall what the others are for, but like harry said, read the info on using md5 and the instructions on how to burn it. ISO files are exact copies of a disc, sort of like a zip file version of a cdrom, with all the files/folders the original cd had. You need to use a special program to uncompress and burn the files just how they were on the original (and even give the cd the same name). The instructions help alot with much of this.
Re: there are 5 iso files, do I download all of these and pu
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedlink
I don't recall what the others are for, but like harry said, read the info on using md5 and the instructions on how to burn it. ....
All one needs is the ISO and the MD5. The md5.asc is just an ascii version of the md5, which is kind of redundant since the md5 file is ascii anyway. The sha1 and sha1.asc files are alternate check files based on Secure Hasing Algorithm. But the md5 check is quite enough to prevent corrupt files. Not that it would hurt to look at the readme file, but that seems to be too much to hope for in this case.