Can't run X11 from HD install after power outage - Help!
I am new to linux. I installed Knoppix 3.6 to my HD. It worked great. I was experiementing with the power, (this is a Laptop) and lost power while Knoppix was running on HD. The next time it booted, it went to the terminal login. I could login, but no x win. I played around with it, booted from the CD, went in under root and ran fsck on the /dev/hda1 among some other things. I don't know what I did that fixed it, I tried booting it again on the HD and it worked and went into X11. So I keep playing around with it and loose power again, and now I can't get it to go into X11 anymore. I tried the startx command, I can't remember exactly what it said, but it wouldn't run.
It was my understanding that fsck is like scandisk, so that is why I ran it thinking that something was messed up in the journaling or something on my ext3 partition.
Any suggestions or help is appreciated!!
Knoppix HDD install, X11 won't start, fix, why and howto
Situation: Have installed KNOPPIX to the HDD, using Knoppix-installer
Problem: Computer boots up, but does not enter X (windowing mode), but
stays with the text console.
Explanation: In the directory /tmp , is a hidden X lock file that prevents
two copies of X from trying to run at the same time. This keeps two programs
from trying to seize control of the display at once. The name of this
file is
/tmp/.X0-lock
When you shut down, X deletes this file before it quits.
If the user turns off the computer without shutting down, or if for some
other reason the lock file remains present, then X loads with priority 11
instead of priority 10, cannot accomplish its tasks, and fails.
Fix: You have to remove the file by hand, from the text console.
(1) Hold down the alt key, and hit "2", or "3", or "4", in order to
bring up a new login window.
(2) Choose as your login name "root", and as your login password, the root
(administrator) password. Login as root.
(3) Remove the file. Type:
rm /tmp/.X0-lock
(4) Reboot. Type:
shutdown -r now
When you reboot, your X windows system will again be working.
Note: If you are at all unsure about this, do steps 1 and 2, and then instead of removing this lock file, type "startx". You will then see an error note that the lock file is causing X11 to start up at priority 11 instead of 10, and failing; and that if you are not running X11 otherwise, you should remove the lock file by hand.
Note also, that you should not remove this lock file by hand, if you are running X at the time. However, you *can* view it, by opening a text console window, and typing " ls -A /tmp/ ".