Yet another 'missing' CDROM thread...
I just installed knoppix 3.8 (debian style), and while my CD ROM was detected and working perfectly in the live version, the hdd version fails to detect it.
Now I have read the many posts on this topic, but all of the solutions say to link to /dev/sr0 or similar (which isnt a valid device on my system).
When I look at dmesg, I get:
Code:
hdc: SONY DVD RW DRU-710A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
and
Code:
ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation.
Nothing else in dmesg seems relevent.
I tried symlinking to /dev/hdc, but even that wont work.
This is using only the 2.6 kernel (3.8 doesnt install anything else)
My relevent lilo.conf portion is:
Code:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11
label="Linux(2.6)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.11
append="ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce "
read-only
Any assistance on this would be appreciated.
Re: Yet another 'missing' CDROM thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilsJester
I just installed knoppix 3.8 (debian style), and while my CD ROM was detected and working perfectly in the live version, the hdd version fails to detect it.
Now I have read the many posts on this topic, but all of the solutions say to link to /dev/sr0 or similar (which isnt a valid device on my system).
Actually it's /dev/scd0 you must link to. For a permanent fix with a Knoppix install I had to modify /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. See this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13601
I would have thought *they* would have fixed this by now, this bug first appeared in 3.4 with the introduction of the 2.6 kernel. This is one of the reasons I have switched to Kanotix; it has fewer bugs like this and those that do appear get fixed.