Don't have permission to read windows files
I saw a posting on this here, but it didn't seem to resolve my issue. Let me first get it out in the open that I am a total Knoppix noob, and nowhere near a linux guru - having only some basic Unix/xWindows/Linux experience.
My windows xp pro machine died, wouldn't boot at all. Friends at my work recommended knoppix. I got knoppix up and running and was delighted to see it access my fried drive. Problem is, the data I need most, my user data in "documents and settings" has a lock icon and reads that it is 0 bytes. Other users that aren't my primary user do not have this and I can browse their data. I tried accessing as root, which removed the lock icon and let me "try" to change permissions, but it doesn't work (says I can't change permissions) and still says I lack permission to get in. I'm wondering if there is a way around this, or does this mean that data is corrupted? It seems strange - my "program files' folder has the same problem, but I can access a bunch of other (unfortunately unimportant to me) data on the drive. Only one partition is having this problem - the other is fully accessible, even by a windows machine if I load it as a slave drive.
Anyone know if I can get to this data?
Thanks!
Re: Don't have permission to read windows files
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscene
My windows xp pro machine died, wouldn't boot at all. ..... I'm wondering if there is a way around this, or does this mean that data is corrupted? It seems strange - my "program files' folder has the same problem, but I can access a bunch of other (unfortunately unimportant to me) data on the drive. Only one partition is having this problem - the other is fully accessible, even by a windows machine if I load it as a slave drive.
Anyone know if I can get to this data?
Thanks!
I don't think it means that your data is corrupted. XP, pro version only, has a "feature" that lets you protect data so that it can only be read by the logged in owner(item 3 in the link). This is a security issue, there might be some way to still access such secured files by Knoppix, but if there is then I expect that people would be complaining that Microsoft has yet another serious security flaw. So sorry, I can try to comfort you that I don't think your files have been corrupted, but I'm not sure how you can now read them. They are safely encrypted.