Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh ??
hi;
I was curious if I can somehow run a File system check on these two files configs.tbz and knoppix.sh (Saved Knoppix Configuration) which reside on my (knoppix26 myconfig=/mnt/hda8) hda8 partition ??
I'm getting some errors from Kmix at boot up (It's open already on the desktop at KDE start - and crashes when I close it)...and I have no idea how to decipher BackTrace from the KDE crash - yet I've spent quite a bit of time configuring all my Brower and Desktop settings. I have done this many times before (save knoppix config) in the past, but only lately after a couple of "lockups", I guess from trying to do too much at once from only 192MB RAM..did these startup errors and seemingly not saving settings probs arise.
*anecdotal;
I wrote a l-o-n-g question yesterday about the knoppix DIR structure, and trying to decipher WHERE [/usr/lib/kdelib_init.so] (<-- or very similar) actually resides, so perhaps it can be edited or something -- but my post got eaten - yes it actually did a houdini! on me, and vanished.... must've been the Website "timeout" (??)
I got no error message though - just the login screen again when I tried to PREVIEW/submit....and when I tried using Mozilla back button, - nada - zippo - gone
...after logging in, and writing and pasting screenshots and figuring out how to do this in knoppix - it must've been an hour or so before I was finally able to post, -- I clicked PREVIEW and POOOFFF! My post/message went off into the ether :cry: *sigh*
*/anecdotal
*edit;
btw - My Onboard SOund (Creative SB AudioPCI on an Intel 440BX - PII 350MHz - 192MB RAM) has never worked so far and I've ignored it so far. I've looked in InfoCenter and Control Center and it basically says ALSA is loaded but NoSOUND DEVICES detected
(but this is ANOTHER issue I will tackle later - thanks)
*edir2:
I found some AC-97 info through a search here for configs.tbz and knoppix.sh and
alsa=intel8x0 is NOT working for me -- like I said that's really not at the heart of this threads ? though -- I'll tackle that one soon
p.s. I did a search on these boards for [fsck esfsck] and found many threads under HDD/Install so it doesn't apply to me YET :) I even viewed the [man:/es2fsck] and [man:/fsck] -- but I can't understand the functions, how to use the various /switches - BTW - I'm DOS saavy and extremely knowledgable about 98 and the REG (whatever that's worth).
thanks to whomever can inform me a bit :)
Re: Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh
[[ BTW - I'm DOS saavy and extremely knowledgable about 98 and the REG (whatever that's worth) ]]
--One thing you need to know:
" fsck " == "chkdsk" / "scandisk" in Windoze. Trying to do "fsck" on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh is N/A; you do "fsck" on filesystems / partitions, or _unmounted_ "loop" files that contain filesystems (such as ext2 or reiserfs.)
--192MB RAM should be plenty. Is your machine overclocked or anything like that?
[[ I wrote a l-o-n-g question yesterday about the knoppix DIR structure, and trying to decipher WHERE [/usr/lib/kdelib_init.so] (<-- or very similar) actually resides, so perhaps it can be edited or something
]]
-- " /usr/lib/kdelib_init.so " is a binary file. Kind of like a .dll in Win. You don't edit them.
--Sorry about your troubles, but I doubt I can help much more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by |enouf|
hi;
I was curious if I can somehow run a File system check on these two files configs.tbz and knoppix.sh (Saved Knoppix Configuration) which reside on my (knoppix26 myconfig=/mnt/hda8) hda8 partition ??
I'm getting some errors from Kmix at boot up (It's open already on the desktop at KDE start - and crashes when I close it)...and I have no idea how to decipher BackTrace from the KDE crash - yet I've spent quite a bit of time configuring all my Brower and Desktop settings. I have done this many times before (save knoppix config) in the past, but only lately after a couple of "lockups", I guess from trying to do too much at once from only 192MB RAM..did these startup errors and seemingly not saving settings probs arise.
*anecdotal;
I wrote a l-o-n-g question yesterday about the knoppix DIR structure, and trying to decipher WHERE [/usr/lib/kdelib_init.so] (<-- or very similar) actually resides, so perhaps it can be edited or something -- but my post got eaten - yes it actually did a houdini! on me, and vanished.... must've been the Website "timeout" (??)
I got no error message though - just the login screen again when I tried to PREVIEW/submit....and when I tried using Mozilla back button, - nada - zippo - gone
...after logging in, and writing and pasting screenshots and figuring out how to do this in knoppix - it must've been an hour or so before I was finally able to post, -- I clicked PREVIEW and POOOFFF! My post/message went off into the ether :cry: *sigh*
*/anecdotal
*edit;
btw - My Onboard SOund (Creative SB AudioPCI on an Intel 440BX - PII 350MHz - 192MB RAM) has never worked so far and I've ignored it so far. I've looked in InfoCenter and Control Center and it basically says ALSA is loaded but NoSOUND DEVICES detected
(but this is ANOTHER issue I will tackle later - thanks)
*edir2:
I found some AC-97 info through a search here for configs.tbz and knoppix.sh and
alsa=intel8x0 is NOT working for me -- like I said that's really not at the heart of this threads ? though -- I'll tackle that one soon
p.s. I did a search on these boards for [fsck esfsck] and found many threads under HDD/Install so it doesn't apply to me YET :) I even viewed the [man:/es2fsck] and [man:/fsck] -- but I can't understand the functions, how to use the various /switches - BTW - I'm DOS saavy and extremely knowledgable about 98 and the REG (whatever that's worth).
thanks to whomever can inform me a bit :)
Re: Possible to FSCK or E2FSCK on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
--One thing you need to know:
" fsck " == "chkdsk" / "scandisk" in Windoze. Trying to do "fsck" on configs.tbz and knoppix.sh is N/A; you do "fsck" on filesystems / partitions, or _unmounted_ "loop" files that contain filesystems (such as ext2 or reiserfs.)
--192MB RAM should be plenty. Is your machine overclocked or anything like that?
hi;
thanks for replying - and not o/cing .... I notice knoppix creates a ~145MB ramdisk at boot time (I also, in the past, have created/deleted - and created/kept a knoppix.swp on the same partition as configs.tbz and knoppix.sh - right now I have a knoppix.swp in place, but the HDD isn't being accessed, which is a good thing).
Quote:
-- " /usr/lib/kdelib_init.so " is a binary file. Kind of like a .dll in Win. You don't edit them.
--Sorry about your troubles, but I doubt I can help much more than that.
thanks for the reply and the info about the Binary / DLL-like file
Is there a way I can run as Root when booted from LiveCD ??
IOW - suppose I want to d/l a file and save it to another partition....or edit a text file on another FAT32 partition (all my HDD partitions are FAT/FAT32).
Things I've tried - both before and after mounting the partition;
right clicked the Desktop Icon for said partition | properties | "device tab", unticked "read only" -- also "permissions" tab | Advanced permissions, ticked ALL the boxes for owner, user, group.
...I have not yet tried changing "Ownership"
User (knoppix, cannot be changed)
Group (knoppix) -
should I change Group to something other than knoppix ? like sudo perhaps ?