can someone help me with this i know the fixmbr , but i can't use it cause im using ME , i'm tired of knoppix it just uninstalled my sound card , so i;m planning to use another distro
Printable View
can someone help me with this i know the fixmbr , but i can't use it cause im using ME , i'm tired of knoppix it just uninstalled my sound card , so i;m planning to use another distro
btw hmm my soundcard stop working when i play a file it says that the card is configured correctly and the harware is present and the plugin are all correct , when i use alsa-conf it doesn't work , it says that the drivers donmt work
this came up
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
admin@LinuxServer:~$ artswrapper
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
I went through similar grief with my soundcard, which now works fine following a "kludge" with alsaconf. I was getting error messages identical to yours.
The biggest problem was the effect of aRts... on the whole setup. I get lots of error messages from it, but can't uninstall it. If I try to remove it, Kpackage lists every bit of software on the machine and says it will uninstall all of that if I remove aRts... It's still there, but the kludge gets round it From what I've read elsewhere, the Knoppix sound problem is very machine and soundcard specific: my P600 and Creative SB16 can be got to work with Knoppix 3.8.2.
my soundcard problem is solved, i used the apt-get dist-upgrade , and it upgraded the alsaconf so i ran it and configured it again, anyways i still want to get rid of my version of linux , i want something more professional to handle a server
Good joke..... I should say coz, linux servers are the best.Quote:
i want something more professional to handle a server
dude , read it again , i meant a want a more professional distro like SUSE or Red hat
I understood what was written , in my previous post itself. My view is that RedHat is not the set standard to run servers.
Knoppix HD-Install can also be suitable for running, all kinda servers. The running of the server depends on, configuring it.
With WinME I believe you use "fdisk /mbr" from a dos boot disk. If you don't have one, try http://www.bootdisk.org/
If you're going to install another distro you might as well let the new one install a bootloader to the MBR and be done with it. It overwrites the knoppix one.
Why not try Debian Sarge if you want a server. That at least is stable and doesn't break like knoppix. Nothing wrong with RH or Suse though.
Also winme boot cd can be used instead of boot floppy as mentioned by markus.
fdisk /mbr flushes the mbr.
In winxp cd, u can try rescue and fix mbr option to fix it.
Regards
thanks, i will try it , later im looking at some distros to install em.