-
Modem Configuration
Please offer /dev/ttyS4 option.
I find it counterintuitive that ttyS4 is not offered.
Most internal hardware modems are made by USRobotics. They are not serial devices, but rather PCI devices, and are faster than external Serial modems. They need to be configured to ttyS4 (COMM 5). I am not talking about win modems.
The only Distro that runs from a CD that offers ttyS4 is Damm Small Linux. A derivitive of Knoppix.
It is a bit much to expect a window use to pop in the Knoppix CD, and them to go to the command line to configure the modem, just to configure the modem. They do not yet know the Linux command line. A newbie really needs access to the web immediately to hone their linux skills.
I did not see an option to activate the modem once it is configured.
I am sending this message from my Fedora Core 3 machine, in which the modem is configured to ttyS4.
-
Practically all of us here are not Knoppix developers or Knoppix beta-testers but are just community volunteers. Your suggestion of a COM5 serial port has merit. Some of the developers do visit the forums but you can contact the developers at their mailing list at http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws.
-
This is something like you need or sugest. Sometimes your way is not easier one.
1. http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html
2. "The 5610B works with Mepis 2004.06 and SM 3.3. I did nothing special. But you have to make sure you have it on the correct COM Port for your machine. Sometimes u have to confirm the com port via windoz - I hate to say that. You may have to link the port to /dev/modem.
Alternatively, try ls -l /dev/modem to find out the com port. You can also do things like ls -l /dev/ttyS2, etc. All from Command line. The latter gives the c 4 68 part of it. Also see man pages on ls. Watch the spaces in the code.
Two other handy pieces of code, from cmnd line as su:
mknod /devttyS2 c 4 68 Here S2 is COM3, etc.
(this sets S2)
ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem Links e.g. S2 to /dev/modem"