Problems with ntpdate by cron
Hello everyone!
I try to syncronize the system-time by using cron an ntpdate.
The concerning line in crontab is 1 * * * * ntpdate -s ip-address of time server
and by using the option -s the logging output is diverted to /var/log/syslog. In the next line
you see such a logging:
Aug 1 09:01:01 solarlinux /USR/SBIN/CRON[29560]: (root) CMD (ntpdate -s ...)
But if I check the remainig offset by ntpdate -q ip-address of time server,
its value doesn't become smaller, it seems as if ntpdate executed by cron does not
syncronize the time. Only if I execute the command manually in a shell, the offset
becomes notable smaller.
Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance!
Michael Doepper
Re: Problems with ntpdate by cron
Create a separate bash script with the ntpdate command, and call that from cron. For some reason, calling commands directly from cron doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.doepper
Hello everyone!
I try to syncronize the system-time by using cron an ntpdate.
The concerning line in crontab is 1 * * * * ntpdate -s ip-address of time server
and by using the option -s the logging output is diverted to /var/log/syslog. In the next line
you see such a logging:
Aug 1 09:01:01 solarlinux /USR/SBIN/CRON[29560]: (root) CMD (ntpdate -s ...)
But if I check the remainig offset by ntpdate -q ip-address of time server,
its value doesn't become smaller, it seems as if ntpdate executed by cron does not
syncronize the time. Only if I execute the command manually in a shell, the offset
becomes notable smaller.
Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance!
Michael Doepper
Problems with ntpdate by cron
Thanks to Dave Bechtel for the response. But even if a seperate bash script was used, I had no success.
I found out, that the command in cron has to contain the full path of the command, instead of ntpdate
/usr/sbin/ntpdate has to be run.
Best regards
Michael Dopper