strange boot error - i'm a linux noob
Ok.. last night I was just playing a game as usual and my system froze. I powered off/on and got the following message (by the way I was in windows xp)
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."
My friend lent me a winxp bootable cd and I put it in, but it would not detect my harddrive so i could not repair or install a fresh copy.
The drive is a SATA 250gb Western Digital. The reason I am in this forum is because someone told me about knoppix and that I could fix my problem using this. So I got a copy of 3.7 and am looking at it now on the desktop. It has my 2 cdroms and floppy, but not my hard drive. How do I get Knoppix to detect my harddrive and how the heck do I fix this problem? I can't lose the data on that disk (I am fearing that the drive is corrupt) it is so important to me to get this fixed. I appreciate any help you may offer.
Re: strange boot error - i'm a linux noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDofUSA
How do I get Knoppix to detect my harddrive and how the heck do I fix this problem? I can't lose the data on that disk (I am fearing that the drive is corrupt) it is so important to me to get this fixed. I appreciate any help you may offer.
No one worth their salt is going to help restore critical data via an on-line forum, espcially if you are a complete neophyte to Linux. It's just too big a risk to their own reputation. If you had a back up or if losing the data wasn't such a big concern, that would be a different story. But as it is, I'd recommend that you hire a computer professional to physically examine your machine and recommend a course of action.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org