apt-get upgrade, better I wouldn't have done it
We use(d, actually) knoppix 3.8.1, all worked fine and we were happy.
Today we decided "to upgrade" our system. I verified by "apt-get upgrade -s" that we receive only "stable" and "testing" packages.
Run...
After computer restart, we've got surprises:
1) KDE is not running (asks for password, starts to log-in, then black screen, then KDE again asks for password,... )
2) NIS server YP binding takes ~10 min during each start-up. It is not responding to Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Q, Esc, whatever.
Currently I'm saving my files for reinstall the Knoppix from scratch (using Windows :(
Any help is appreciated
PS I'm completely newbie to Linux, seems (well, only 6 month of user experience)
PS It is so very very sad, that apt-get doesn't work for "simple" user
Re: apt-get upgrade, better I wouldn't have done it
Quote:
Originally Posted by leg_of_pinguin
We use(d, actually) knoppix 3.8.1, all worked fine and we were happy.
Today we decided "to upgrade" our system. I verified by "apt-get upgrade -s" that we receive only "stable" and "testing" packages.
Run...
After computer restart, we've got surprises:
1) KDE is not running (asks for password, starts to log-in, then black screen, then KDE again asks for password,... )
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21389
Quote:
2) NIS server YP binding takes ~10 min during each start-up. It is not responding to Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Q, Esc, whatever.
apt-get --purge remove nis
Quote:
PS It is so very very sad, that apt-get doesn't work for "simple" user
apt-get does work, it's just knoppix that wasn't meant to be installed on a hd.
Re: apt-get upgrade, better I wouldn't have done it
Quote:
Originally Posted by leg_of_pinguin
apt-get upgrade, better I wouldn't have done it
yup, that's the prime reason why many of us advise users not to install Knoppix but to install Debian or some other distro that is intended for hard disk install. Not the only reason, but right at the top of the list. See this post if you want more details.
If you don't mind my asking, did you see any of these warnings before installing Knoppix? Why did you decide to install it over Debain or any other Distro that is intended for hard disk? I'm really trying to understand why people do this.