---networking with intel wireless 2200 b/g---
i have been using knoppix for about 2 weeks wired. now i want to use it wirlessely, but it is so CONFUSING :cry: and i cant figure it out. It was said that the intel wireless 2200 b/g adapter is not directly supported by intel, but there is another downloadable version specified for linux at their websight, www.intel.com.
i have downloaded the new client (im not to sure what to call it :/) ""intel_ipw2200" and the firmware class ieee80211-1.1.6. (the directions said i needed it, i have no idea what it means
I am using kernel 2.6.6, the required one for knoppix.
my computer specifications are as following
-Toshiba satellite r 10
-512 mb of RAM
-1.8 ghz intel centrino processor
-wireless card is intel 2200 b/g
- i deleted windows and didnot save the prevous wireless driver settings
the directions are very unclear to me, i dont know if i should install the driver first, or the
can you please explain to me how to install it, or use ndiswrapper.
where to extract the file?
and i attempted to write a configuration for the modprobe but there was an error saying "Manage ndis drivers for ndiswrapper.
-i inffile Install driver described by 'inffile'
-d devid driver Use installed 'driver' for 'devid'
-e driver Remove 'driver'
-l List installed drivers
-m Write configuration for modprobe
-hotplug (Re)Generate hotplug information
where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX
root@njz:/home/aal-aali# ndiswrapper -m
Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
root@njz:/home/aal-aali# rmmod ndiswrapper
ERROR: Module ndiswrapper does not exist in /proc/modules
root@njz:/home/aal-aali# modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation n
root@njz:/home/aal-aali# ndiswrapper /home/aal-aali/desktop/intel_ipw2200
Usage: ndiswrapper OPTION"
can you please help me install the drivers, and tell me what to do ie- where to put the driver downloads (from www.intel.com)-- i am really sick and tired of windows and i realy want to start using linux, i also want to try to contribute to the community, but i cannot if i dont get help.
thanx,
adel 8)
Re: IPW200 not monitor mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by abclinux
I have an intel pro wireless 2200bg
I try (as root) going into monitor mode:
iwconfig eth1 mode monitor
and I get
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.
I am able to go into ad-hoc and managed mode just fine.
Why can't I enter monitor mode?! I am trying to get kismet working
I think I have at least 1.04 of my drivers, is there a way to check?
Any help would be great!
Thanks.
You need to upgrade your driver. If you dowemload the latest driver from sourceforge + firmware + ieee80211
Now the only nasty thing is that it seems the drivers on the knoppix CD are not installed at their regular place, hence the unload/remove script that goes together with the source does not work. Remove manually the ipw/ieee80211 files before installing the new ones, otherwise it sure will NOT work.. Don't forget to copy the firmware to the hotplug dir
After it it works fine.
If there is need for it I can see if I can make the compiled driver available for downloading