Speeding up "Dial-Up" internet advice?
Hi all,
I've been on a "dial-up" internet service -forever-, and recently tried to upgrade to either an ADSL or cable service without luck. I won't go into the details, but because of where I'm located, neither will work here.
So looks like I'm stuck with dialup for at least another 6 months to a year. I think I'm getting fairly good throughput as it is, but would like to get even more if I can. I'm using a local provider, Knoppix/Debian Linux and an external V.92 modem. It seemed to me that I got a fairly decent improvement when I switched from Windoze because I no longer have to use all those darn virus/spam blockers. When I download files, Firefox shows that I'm averaging about 5300 bytes/second.
My question is this: What about all these "dial-up accelerators"? I haven't seen any for Linux, only for Windows, but do they work? Would I get better speeds than I get now if I went with one of them? Is there anything else I can do to improve my speeds right now?
I was -really- hoping to get either DSL or cable, but since that's not an option I'm hoping someone can help me find at least a little bit more from what I've got.
Thanks all for taking a look!