Newb question: how do i browse c:\ using knoppix?
I boot from cd, Knoppix. Loads fine. Within Knoppix, right click brings up menu... but i don't recognize a standard "explorer" type file browser. I have opened the many "shells", looks like DOS, but "cd c:" isn't recognized.
How can I use Knoppix to browse my harddrive and view the files? I know I can't/shouldn't "write" to NTFS, but I should be able to "read" and "copy" the files to a USB flash drive right?
HELP!
Newb question: how do i browse c:\ using knoppix?
What are you doing at a command line? This is the third millenium!
Just click the drive icon on the desktop. This will open a konquerer window with the contents of this drive shown. Or, at the K menu choose the Quick Browser, which will open konquerer with more options.
At a command line, you will first need to know the partitions' designation, eg: /dev/hda1 ; so that you can mount it: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 . Once mounted, you can view the contents with the list command: ls /dev/hda1 . The command: dmesg | grep -i hd ; will spew out much information about your installed PATA drives that the system found at startup.