Knoppix 3.9 - KDE stops loading after apt-get upgrade
After running apt-get upgrade on Knoppix 3.9, KDE no longer loads up. I can log in using the graphical interface, but loading halts during System Services loading. Has anyone resolved this problem or experienced it? This is for a HD install situation, of course. Help.
Re: Knoppix 3.9 - KDE stops loading after apt-get upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORbyte80
After running apt-get upgrade on Knoppix 3.9, KDE no longer loads up. .... This is for a HD install situation, of course. Help.
Of course. Lots of things break after apt-get since Knoppix isn't really suitable for hard disk install. Here's your help, as well as answer #2.
Knoppix 3.9 - KDE stops loading after apt-get upgrade
As you are using these forums to find help for your knoppix problems and received a consise answer, why do you take issue with the honest, forthright, informed reply " it isn't intended for hard drive install" ?
Knoppix is _not_ debian. Knoppix is a hand picked selection of applications and libraries that does _not_ fit into any of the debian distribution models. It is neither oldstable, stable, testing nor experimental. It does include software from all of them. Hence, there are dependency issues that have been manually satisfied by the engineers at knoppix.
You are welcome to perform your own re-engineering. The tools are all there and the requirements for each piece of software you wish to install are openly documented, but, as this would no longer be knoppix, you are on your own. We will be happy to assist you with any technical details that we have knowledge of.
Your only specific request was for assistance with kdm for which the only information given by you is "loading halts during System Services loading". A more specific error would be appreciated. Have you consulted your kdm.log file to see if the particular problem(s) is/are noted? Do you know where your log files are kept? Are you aware that there are dozens of log files that cover everything from system starting and daemons to specific software?
You also take issue with apt. What software and library versions were added and/or removed? Did you modify the repository list? Are you aware that it is possible to _pin_ versions so that they are selectively kept and/or upgraded? Do you know how to use man pages?
The file structure conforms to the LSB (Linux Standards Base) as do many distributions. I'd like to just drop a short block chevy into the toyota I drive now. They both have four wheels and a drive train. What gives?
I await a more informed request. A list with specific hardware issues for starters. And as far burn rate, use the slowest speed possible.
Apt, Knoppix 3.9, Debian 7-disc set, and I found a fix
Thanks for all of the input. I am still set in my ways, that even though Knoppix is not Debian, which I know - it is Debian based, has the same file system structure, uses programs from the Debian repository without problem, compiles the same, is still GNU, and uses Apt. Therefore, it IS Debian. I don't care that Debian won't support it directly, because it is pieces of everything from stable to testing. And besides all of that, I found a true fix for this problem. As I have reinstalled my system several times already, I wasn't about to reinstall again-I'd rather just do without the GUI, BASH worked just fine still. So I went looking for the problem and found out that the answer was simple:
Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
That little single liner fixed all of my problems. Apparently it was a misfeature in the 3.9 version of Knoppix, but it was listed on the problems/solutions site for 3.9 knoppix HD install. As far as using Apt goes, I love Apt myself, and wouldn't for one second assume that it was Apt's fault that my system broke. I never thought that or claimed that. I was thinking that I was missing something to begin with, before I ran Apt, and I was right. Actually I tested for my problem once again and found that my problem reared its ugly face after simply setting up my network interface card, which is another problem in 3.9. After doing that I rebooted and KDE wouldn't start up anymore. So I knew right away that it wasn't Apt. Loaded up links and googled my problem with KDE loading the System Services, and found that the above line of code - simply making a soft link to ifupdown-clean in the startup script directory - fixed it! I haven't had any problems since then. Thanks for looking for the answer to my question, but I appreciate your efforts to help me anyway.
As for the 7-disc set of Debian, you're right, it is an older set, actually it's Woody I believe, and I've been told before to get Sarge, but I really don't have time, so I'm "stuck" trying to figure out the answers to my problems on my own. I don't have broadband, so I'm not in a situation where I can use the one-disk setup, then use dpkg to download and install all of my packages. Anyway I thought I'd let you know my current status on this, so that if anyone else has the same problem they might be able to fix it from this post, and so that nobody feels like I don't appreciate the help they have given me. Thanks all.
Re: Apt, Knoppix 3.9, Debian 7-disc set, and I found a fix
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORbyte80
Thanks for all of the input. I am still set in my ways, that even though Knoppix is not Debian, which I know - it is Debian based, has the same file system structure, uses programs from the Debian repository without problem, compiles the same, is still GNU, and uses Apt. Therefore, it IS Debian.
Actually, the bold part above is where just one of the problems is, but it is a serious problem. Knoppix does not use the same Debian repository. The reason is that not all Debian uses the same repository, There are diferent repositories for Stable, Testing and Unstable. Debian isn't doing this to increase their storage needs or to make things harder for someone who already had stable CDs and wants to install the newer testing; they do it because there are changes to both the OS and the packages over time and they must be properly matched. If Debian can't use just one repository without causing serious problems, then why would you think that Knoppix can?
Knoppix isn't made from one version of Debian. It is made from a mix of the different versions. Klaus takes from the stable version when he wants, perhap for stability or for a smaller size program. But he also takes from unstable and testing when he wants newer code or if something in stable isn't working correctly. He carefully tests that everything works together, which, although a long and painful process, he can do because he is dealing with a limited and known set of programs. But it is well known that installing another program with the apt system may bring in newer packages and cause this carefully built house of cards to come crashing down, as will a simple apt-get update. Knoppix isn't Debian, is is based on Debian, but it is different and it is not Debian.
Let me ask one very serious question that I really don't understand the answer to: If you would like Debian, why do you not install Debian? Have you even tried to install Debian testing, which installs extremely cleanly? Sure, when Knoppix first came out the Debian installer (and most if not all other Linux installers) was complex and technical to use. Some people settled for "installing" Knoppix in spite of the problems because they didn't want to do a complex technical Linux install. Lots of people said things like "If Knoppix can do the hardware detection for me, why can't Debian?" Well, the developers listened and learned. Debian testing installs extremenly cleanly. So why do people still insist on pretending that a Knoppix install is almost as good as a real Debian install?