older versionsd of knoppix/kanotix
Anyone know of any sources for earlier versions of Kabnotix or Knoppix? I really need something which doesn't use GrUB as bootloader as the Com,paq Evo I'm trying to install on always produces GrUB errors. OTOH, DSL installs fine, but is way too limited for what I want (and I don't have Internet access on the that box).[/b]
Re: older versionsd of knoppix/kanotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers99
Anyone know of any sources for earlier versions of Kabnotix or Knoppix?[/b]
The oldest Knoppix I have is 3.4, which version are you looking for ?
The Knoppix cd still uses isolinux as a bootloder and not Grub. Kanotix uses Grub.
If grub is a problem, did you try Lilo ?
Which version of Grub did you use ?
Is this a windows PMI, or a hd install ?
Cheers,
Gilles
Re: older versionsd of knoppix/kanotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruymbeke
The Knoppix cd still uses isolinux as a bootloder and not Grub. Kanotix uses Grub.
Aha! I'd given away all my Cds of Knoppix. Only a DVD left and the Compaq only has CD. Ideally I'd prefer Kanotix, but I'm downloading 3.6 now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruymbeke
If grub is a problem, did you try Lilo ?
On the Hd install, yes (of DSL). But Kanotix won't even get to the prompt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruymbeke
Is this a windows PMI, or a hd install ?
It will be a HD install.
Thanks very much -- I'll give Knoppix 3.6 a try.
Re: older versionsd of knoppix/kanotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruymbeke
Is this a windows PMI, or a hd install ?
It will be a HD install. Thanks very much -- I'll give Knoppix 3.6 a try.
If you can make it dos bootable, you could try loadlin.exe or grub.exe
either one should work to boot linux and in particular, Kanotix or Knoppix.
ftp://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/pub/linux/l...loadlin.exe.gz (ver 1.6c is important for kernel > 1MB)
http://sarovar.org/download.php/951/...-0.4.2pre2.zip (will contain grub.exe)
Good luck,
Gilles