"Segmentation Fault" error.
When I try to boot Knoppix on my other PC (1.3GHz, 128MB RAM, CD-ROM drive) it works fine. Yet when I try to boot it on this PC (2.9GHz, 512MB RAM, DVD+/-RW drive), I get a "Segmentation Fault: Please Check" error during the boot process. I've tried all of the cheat codes outlined here, and none of them have worked. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I would like to point out that I have also used my Knoppix CD on my schools computers and it has worked fine. I don't know the specifications for those computers, but I do know that they have CD-ROM drives. Is it possible that my DVD drive is the cause of the error? If so, how do I fix it?[/url]
Segmentation Fault on Work PC, but not on Home unit
I'm getting a segmentation fault too:
I recently downloaded and burned a Knoppix V4.0.2-CD to be able to have a simple Linux workstation to play with and connect to my Linux server without trashing the kids' (other OS) stuff. It works great at home on my AMD Athlon 2600+ (1.8 Ghz?) unit with 512Mb RAM & 80G HD. However, the same CD just locks up on my work PC: HP Pavilion Pentium(R) 4 at 3 Ghz with 1.49 Gig Ram, 30Gig NTFS HD (but that shouldn't matter, should it?) and dual graphics: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440.
I've tried various boot options like:
knoppix 2
knoppix vga=0
koppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm
knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
failsafe debug -b 3
All lock up after Autconfiguring devices is "Done."
The most informative boot I was able to obtain was via "knoppix expert debug":
Autoconfiguring devices... _______ Done.
Mouse is Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse at /dev/psaux
/etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 846: /bin/loadkeys: Input/output error
Segmentation fault
Your mouse has been autodetected as: /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig: line 903: /usr/bin/awk: Permission denied
then I can type away on blank lines, but nothing ever happens until I turn the PC off.
Any ideas?