Installation help please!
Attempted to install Knoppix 4.0 from Paul Sery's book "Knoppix for Dummies" Cd on the HD of my old Inspiron 8100 (PIII, 512 Mb RAM) machine.
Selecting Knoppix boot in GRUB menue rezults in "Welcome to Debian" login screen
After logging in, a blue screen with the large font word "debian" appears and the box stays frozen: can move the pointer, but no mouse/keyboard activities result in any response.
The box is set for a dual-boot: Linux or W2K Professinal. Disk partitions:
/dev/hda1 ntfs (Win Sys)
/dev/hda5 ntfs (Win Data)
/dev/hda6 linux-swap (1.1GB)
/dev/hda1 reiserfs (9.48 GB)
B/t/w, prior to Knoppix installation attempt, I installed on the same machine Fedora Core Linux with no problems: everyting , including free space repartitioning was automatic and smooth. Alas, I would rather have Knoppix.
Any suggestions? I already re-installed Knoppix twice: same result every time.
Thanks!
Alon
P.S. I'm a hardware chap (photonics mostly) with some antedeluvian Unix experience (old Bell Labs).
Re: Installation help please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Kidon
B/t/w, prior to Knoppix installation attempt, I installed on the same machine Fedora Core Linux with no problems: everyting , including free space repartitioning was automatic and smooth. Alas, I would rather have Knoppix.
Well, it doesn't look like anyone who thinks that Knoppix should be installed is rushing to help. I can understand that you don't want Fedora. But why not install Debian (the same distro that Knoppix is based on) and then apt-get any or all of the applications that are included with Knopix? That way you get all the good parts of Knoppix, without the known problems of a hard disk install of Knoppix.
Re: Installation help please!
Thanks, Harry! Guess, I was lazy: bought a couple of Knoppix books and wanted to use installation disks.