Problems in general with Knoppix 5.0.1
I have been using Knoppix 4.0.2 Live for awhile with little or no difficulties. I was excited to hear that 5.0.1 was released. I d/led the ISO today and burned it to DVD. when I boot off of the 5.0.1 disc it comes up ok, but, my mouse stops working as soon as I see the message "KDE is up and running" or shortly thereafter ':('. I am using a Microsoft Intellimouse 5 button that works fine in 4.0.2. As a last ditch effort I even plugged in an old school serial mouse. Unfortunately I had the same results. I was rather looking forward to checking out the new version and would appreciate any input that would be available. Thank you in advance for your time.
Actually since I first posted this, I believe that Knoppix is actually hanging up at this point not just my mouse.
I am running:
-ECS P4IBMS Mainboard
-Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
-Nvidia Geforce 6600 LE (AGP) on a plug and play monitor
-1.5GB Ram (3-512 sticks)
-80 GB Western Digital HD (system)
-120 GB Western Digital HD
- A Sony DVD Burner (DW-D26A)
- a Lite-On Cd RW (LTR-52246S)
- A Multi-Card Reader by Genesys
a Sony 3.5 Floppy Drive
-2 Printers a Lexmark all in one X75 and a Lexmark Color Laser (C510n) which dont even work in 4.0.2 I only mention them as they are connected
-a wireless keyboard by micro innovations
- and finally a Microsoft Intellimouse 5 button Optical mouse
- an APC UPS 700 battery backup with USB interface.
I thought the problem might be in the DVD I burned. I took it over to my brother's house and it ran fine on his system.
If anyone might have an idea what might be causing my problem I would appreciate any suggestions you might give. Thanks again for anyone who reads this and especially for those who might have a response.
I have now tried a couple more things. I unplugged any devices that were not strictly necessary. (IE printers and my battery backup). I then, loaded 5.0.1 and had pretty much the same results as above. Then I tried swapping out my keyboard for a corded one. when I rebooted in 5.0.1 it ran the longest it has ever ran for me (about 3-5 min) but then it locked up. It seems to me that it almost always locks up while I am in the K-menu, I dont know why. I am posting this from 4.0.2 but would like to upgrade to the new version. Someone please help.