don't understand all IP stuff
Hi! I am a newbie in Linux world. I burned the dvd and managed to boot, but there are some basical things that I cannot understand.
1. after booting, Knoppix asks me something about VGA. It offers around 9 modes (I do not remember well because at this moment I use Win XP to write to forum). Things like 80*25, 80*40 etc. What are these and how can I use them. I just chose a mode but I don't know anything about it.
2. Network configuration. This is the hard stuff. I know what subnet mask is. I suppose that the first IP asked was the IP address of my PC. But further I don't get it. It asks something about Broadcast, and something bout nameserver. Can you pls tell me what are the conversions from Windows IP related terms to Knoppix? Without my network card configured, I cannot access the internet, and this is a ajor obstacle in using the OS.
3. Another big problem is that for major changes it asks for some root password or what. How can I know that?
Thank you!
Re: don't understand all IP stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by csodabogar
1. after booting, Knoppix asks me something about VGA. It offers around 9 modes (I do not remember well because at this moment I use Win XP to write to forum). Things like 80*25, 80*40 etc. What are these...
these refer to ascii character display dimensions, 80 characters across a line and 25 lines of characters vertically fitting on the screen for the first case and so on. But I don't know what you did to get this question, as most of us start Knoppix in a Graphical User Interface that deals with the screen size in pixels (I usually run in 1024x768 mode). And although there are "cheat codes" to force a particular resolution, most of us with reasonably new hardware don't need to use them, Knoppix starts in a mode that is at least acceptable, if not optimal. If this doesn't answer your question it would help to know how you are booting and why you are booting that way to get this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csodabogar
2. Network configuration. This is the hard stuff. I know what subnet mask is. I suppose that the first IP asked was the IP address of my PC. But further I don't get it. It asks something about Broadcast,
I'm not clear how you can know what a subnet mask is and not know what a broadcast address is. The two are tightly linked. What do you think a sub-net mask is?
It would help a lot for us to give you good advice in this if we knew your network layout and/or just wn=hat you are connecting to. If you are using a router you shouldn't have to mess with this at all, the router should set up the network automatically by DHCP. But to try to answer your question based on the little info we have: You say you understand the IP address and the mask. The brooadcast address is an address that all NICs on the network agree on to send broadcast type messages to. For example, as a computer shuts down and gives up it's DHCP lease on an IP address it annonces this to the broadcast address so that all other computers on the LAN will know and can update their routing tables appropriately. And they must all listen to the broadcast address for the same reason. It is always the highest IPaddress available based on the IP address and the sub-net mask. The name server is the Domain Name Server or DNS or DNS server (although that is redundant). It may be set to a DNS that your ISP specifies, or if using a router it is often just set to the router address (the router is going to repackage and resend that packet anyway and knows where the DNS servers are).
Quote:
Originally Posted by csodabogar
3. Another big problem is that for major changes it asks for some root password or what. How can I know that?
This is documented many places, including a "sticky post" in the general forum.