Persistent /home on flash drive: How to avoid burn-out?
I have set up a peristent /home on a flash drive, but I can foresee a problem: Because the image is updated all the time with cache/temp/conf-files, the flash drive will not last very long with intensive system use. (Typically, 10000 writes are guaranteed.) Is there a (relatively simple) way to have /home on a ramdisk, but reading from an image on boot, and updating that image on shutdown?
Re: Persistent /home on flash drive: How to avoid burn-out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorny
I have set up a peristent /home on a flash drive, but I can foresee a problem: Because the image is updated all the time with cache/temp/conf-files, the flash drive will not last very long with intensive system use. (Typically, 10000 writes are guaranteed.) Is there a (relatively simple) way to have /home on a ramdisk, but reading from an image on boot, and updating that image on shutdown?
I don't know if this helps at all, but Puppy Linux seems to have solved this problem.
You can read more about that from How Puppy works
Still, this might be far too difficult to implement in Knoppix.
Re: Persistent /home on flash drive: How to avoid burn-out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaire
I don't know if this helps at all, but
Puppy Linux seems to have solved this problem.
You can read more about that from
How Puppy works
Still, this might be far too difficult to implement in Knoppix.
Thanks for the links! It should not be too difficult to do in Knoppix, and I wonder if something like this is not already in use.