Re: why not install Knoppix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezar
Good evening. It has been defended by the moderators not to install Knoppix under the argument that many things crash when it is installed. I have installed because I simply adore Knoppix. I have installed Knoppix 5.0.1. I simply adore it and the only problem I am facing is with the sound, that does not remain configured when the system is restarted. The question is: if knoppix is not to be installed why exists the knoppix-installer?.....
Actually, no all moderators agree that Knoppix should not be install, some think it's a fine idea. I am one of the ones who does not think it should be installed. I've just seem too many reports of problems from it. Many things, particularly networking, seem to break frequently. Other things break if you try to update software or install any additional software. See the warning in the wiki about hard disk install if you want more details.
As to why is the script there? Good question. Someone got the idea that it would be a great thing to try to do and convinced Klaus to include the script. Over the years there have been many efforts to fix the script and while some changes have made some improvements at least two basic problems still remain: Networking still seems to be frequently reported as broken after an "install" even though the installer reports that it worked fine from the CD. And the problem of Knoppix being made of carefully selected parts of different versions of Debian that have been tested and made to work together but can't survive an apt-get update or an install of anything else persists. And if you look in the NEWS section of this forum you'll find a recent post that qoutes Klause that he is considering just removing the script.
Re: why not install Knoppix?
As to why is the script there? Good question. Someone got the idea that it would be a great thing to try to do and convinced Klaus to include the script. Over the years there have been many efforts to fix the script and while some changes have made some improvements at least two basic problems still remain: Networking still seems to be frequently reported as broken after an "install" even though the installer reports that it worked fine from the CD. And the problem of Knoppix being made of carefully selected parts of different versions of Debian that have been tested and made to work together but can't survive an apt-get update or an install of anything else persists. And if you look in the NEWS section of this forum you'll find a recent post that qoutes Klause that he is considering just removing the script.[/quote]
Thanks, Harry, for your attention and explanation. Well, in my particular case, the only problem I am facing is with the sound. No matter I configure it perfectely with alsaconf + alsamixer + alsactl store and by using the kcontrol (sound system), whenever the system restarts I have to do everything again. But I have faith I will manage to fix it. Networking is perfect, and I have managed to install many new software with apt-get install. Of course,it is up to Klaus to decide what to do with the script and his decision for certain will be related the philosophy of Knoppix and unfortunately it seems not to be the installation but the use as live CD. It is a pity for those like me who have installed Knoppix and have adored it. I wish instead of not installing anymore it were possible both options:live CD and installation with the same excellent quality of the live CD. Knoppix is great and has been the basis of many other Linux and could offer to those (for certain not few!) who like it the possibility of installation and the reports of crashes could be used to fix them, improving the system. Just an idea...Thank you very much. Cezar