DNS servers change (auto) and become invalid
Hello Knoppix people,
I installed Knoppix today and I encounter the following problem:
I setup networking correctly but when I restart the DNS entries I inputted are gone.
So, every time I restart I have to put the DNS server addresses in the Networking panel.
(I need to be on a static IP)
The other entries are fine: IP, gateway, subnet.
Furthermore, after about 3 hours of uptime, the same problem occurs even if I do not restart...
It reverts to some IP address (its actually 172.16.176.x but I would like it to stay put on 192.168.1.1)
Any help would be much appreciated.
Initially I am thinking of amending the /etc/resolv.conf file permissions so that Knoppix does not change it but would like your opinion first.
Thanks
Re: DNS servers change (auto) and become invalid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas22
It reverts to some IP address (its actually 172.16.176.x but I would like it to stay put on 192.168.1.1)
The common 192.168.xxx.xxx range and the range 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 are both ranges reserved for private IP addresses. But why your system would jump between them is a mystery that we don't yet have the information to know. Please see answer #3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas22
I installed Knoppix today ....
This could well be a big part of your problem.
The info requested by Answer #3
My NIC is an Yukon Marvell 88E8001 GbLAN
Router: Linksys BEFSR81 on 192.168.1.1
I'm on Cable (not a static public IP, but has not changed for the last 3 years I live here)
I set up the following:
IP: 192.168.1.254
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
I originally setup as DNS servers my ISP name servers but since I keep losing them I just input 192.168.1.1 now and my router sorts DNS out.
A listing of when I am properly setup:
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2F:D2:86:1E
inet addr:192.168.1.254 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::211:2fff:fed2:861e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4281 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4705 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2959566 (2.8 MiB) TX bytes:904500 (883.3 KiB)
Interrupt:18
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:68 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:68 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:6594 (6.4 KiB) TX bytes:6594 (6.4 KiB)
vmnet1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:C0:00:01
inet addr:172.16.176.128 Bcast:172.16.176.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::250:56ff:fec0:1/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:113 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
vmnet8 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:C0:00:08
inet addr:192.168.129.128 Bcast:192.168.129.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::250:56ff:fec0:8/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
The vmnet interfaces were added by VMWare player
I will restart now and post an ifconfig output of when I'm on the wrong DNS again...