Re: Static IP cannot ping
I don't have answers for you, but I spotted some things in your post worth pointing out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devashish
Heres the info, b.t.w I have Knoppix HD-install
Well, this may be your first problem. Did it work fine from disc? If so then your problem is defined. If not then get it working from disc and worry about getting the blasphmy working later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devashish
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:87:11:82:5F
inet addr:10.1.77.141 Bcast:10.1.77.141 Mask:255.255.255.240
This throws up some red flags for me. You're on a 10 network, which is a private network that can't be routed across the Internet. Unfortunately, we have no information about the real nature of the network. Is this a small home LAN? A work network? Something your ISP provides you? Is there a DHCP server on the network or do you assign the static addresses manually? But there's more: That mask indicates either a very very small network (14 computers max) or that the larger 10 network has been subdivided down to isolate a small group of machines. And the broacast address is just wrong. It is saying that all messages that your somputer should broadcast to the subnet should only go to itself. That's bad and will never work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devashish
knoppix@Knoppix:~$ netcardconfig
ifconfig eth0 10.1.77.141 netmask 255.255.255.240 broadcast 10.1.77.128 up
Here the broadcast address is different, but still wrong. A broadcast address is always the highest address in the range assigned by the IP address and the mask, and as such it is always odd, it can never be even. It also can't be lower than the IP address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devashish
Setting Nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to 192.168.222.5
Being that the 10 network is a private non-routable network, and that all 192.168.xxx.xxx networks are private and non-routable, I don't see how the 10.x.x.x network could ever talk to a nameserver on a 192.168 network.
That's about all I have to offer. I don't support hard disk installs so I expect that this will be my last post. If this problem is limited to a hard disk install though and not running from disc then post back and I'll move it to the hdd forum where I expect it should be and you may find others who have fought with this before.