Is Knoppix speeding up DSL?
I just got through using Knoppix for the first time. Wonderful program. I fear microsoft will be a thing of the past for me. :D My question is, after connecting to my DSL , which was NO problem at all , I checked my speed at dslreports.com. I have never been able to get over a bout a 550 k before using my new comp with win 98 and the tango manager software(which tends to mess up programs as it runs in the background). But now, using my 3 year old comp, an OS that I downloaded (Knoppix) , and no tango mananager screwing up my other programs, I consistently got speeds of almost 700 k (693 was my best). Any thoughts on why this is ? I'm not complaining about this, just curious. I remember seeing something about an MSS or an MTU setting being set to 1452 . I believe I have this set to 1492 on my new comp with tango manager. Could the different settings cause this. Once again, I 've got to say, great OS, and great forum. Thanks for any info on this .
Kman
Re: Is Knoppix speeding up DSL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman
... I consistently got speeds of almost 700 k (693 was my best). Any thoughts on why this is?
Windows, by default, uses an MTU setting of 1500. Because of PPPoE, the correct setting for DSL is 1492 (the wrapper takes 8 bytes). Knoppix "knows" this and sets it correctly. There are utilities for Windows that set this (it's in the Registry, by the way). When the MTU is set too high some blocks have to be sent twice, hence the slowdown.
I agree that, even with the MTU set correctly, Knoppix downloads faster than Windows!