webcam troubles - trying to install pwc
Hi everyone,
this is my first post to the forum, so I hope this is in the right category, given the content!
I'm trying to get a webcam set up on my laptop, with the aim of getting it running with Ekiga. At the moment I'm not entirely confident that I won't break anything when I install
software, so I'm experimenting first by booting from the knoppix 5.0.1 disk as a testing environment (so if anything goes haywire, I just reboot and try again - no strife on the harddrive).
So the bottom line is, the environment I'm in is straight knoppix 5.0.1 with the 2.6.17 kernel. No fancy customisations.
Anyway, I've got a webcam which seems to be detected ok. lsusb gives the following;
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 046d:08b2 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 4000
so it's being detected. However Ekiga and xawtv both detect the camera but give only a grey screen. A quick hunt on google suggested I should download the pwc drivers from
http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/ and install. The listed stepsfor doing so are as follows;
1) Install build-essential and the kernel-headers for your kernel
Did this. Grabbed build-essential_11.3_i386.deb and linux-headers_2.6.17-12_2.6.17.1-12.41_i386.deb
and installed them with dpkg -i . Seemed to work.
2) Download latest driver
as above. Got the driver.
3) Unpack and go into extracted directory
yep. No worries so far..
4) make
And here it all goes to bits. When I tried to make, I got the following error message;
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17/source SUBDIRS=/ramdisk/home/knoppix/pwc-10.0.12-rc1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
Makefile:266: /UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory
Makefile:486: /UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile'. Stop
make[1]: Leaving directory `/UNIONFS/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
make: *** [all] Error 2
So, my friends,.. HELP!! :-) I'm frustratingly close to having this working, it would seem, but I don't know why the damn thing won't make.
Can anyone please help out a clueless newbie who loves his Knoppix? Or alternatively, suggest a model of webcam that works out of the box with knoppix and ekiga?
BTW ekiga has access to both v4l and v4l2, and still gives a grey screen.
Thanks in advance
Re: webcam troubles - trying to install pwc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaha
...... so I'm experimenting first by booting from the knoppix 5.0.1 disk ......
I don't know all of the issues involved in this, and may even be sending you on a wrong path by responding, but I think at least one of the issues is if you are using the CD or DVD. The DVD contains some of the files that you are likely to need to do your make. They are not included on the CD for space reasons. There very well may be other issues in this as well, but I think you're going to need the DVD version (if you don't have it already, you were not clear) if you are going to have a chance to get the make to work.
When you solve this please post back, and consider putting together a wiki article, so that the information might help others.