Accessing NTFS Data - Windows XP
So my one-year old turned off the power to my in-laws Windows XP machine while I had the system configuration utility up. Now it won't even boot up. I created a DOS boot CD; but once in DOS it's not even recognizing the other drives so I can't go in and make any needed changes to the corrupted file. So I created a Knoppix boot CD and I'm just wondering what it will do if I force the mount of their hard drive. Would I possibly lose all the data on the NTFS partition? Would I be able to go in and open the files and make the needed changes and then get Windows to boot properly? If not, then what is my best option to recover the files before I format (NTFS again) and reinstall XP for them? Thanks.
Re: Accessing The Harddrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmuss
.... and I could try to force the mount in Knoppix; but I'm worried it will kill the data. ....
If you want to try to force something, use the mount command and the read-only option (man mount for details), it should not harm anything. But you may very well find that Linux can't mount the partition. Windows is quite capable of destroying partitions that way, I have several drives that it has done it to, even without a one year old.
Even if you can't force a mount, there is a chance that only the partition table is mucked up, not the partition itself. Gpart or testdisk may help you recover in that case, see man gpart and/or man testdisk for details.