Cannot bring up static address
I hope this isn't a double post but I posted this originally on Friday
and haven't seen it on the list. I've been having problems connecting
however.
I could use some help. I've been using Knoppix 5.3.1 & Knoppix 5.1.1
for some time and Unix and SuSE Linux a lot longer; I've never been
able to get Knoppix to work with my LAN which is running with several
SuSE machines. This was never a major problem as I simply moved
files on a thumb drive.
However, I'm now trying to play with uml and networking is now
something I must have. I disconnected one of my boxes from the LAN
and tried to set up my network card on it. I tried using both my
desired addresses and the defaults with the same results. I know
I'm overlooking the obvious, have checked the FAQs which seem mostly
wireless in their problems, I'm using CAT5.
What have I overlooked?
: root@Knoppix:~# ifconfig eth0
: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:C9:6C:E1:07
: inet addr:192.168.0.49 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
: BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
: RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
: TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
: collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
: RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
***** not RUNNING
: --------------
: root@Knoppix:# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.49 up
: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
: --------------
: root@Knoppix:# cat /etc/network/interfaces
: # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
: # The loopback interface
: # automatically added when upgrading
: auto lo eth0
: iface lo inet loopback
:
: allow-hotplug eth0
:
: iface eth0 inet static
: address 192.168.0.49
: netmask 255.255.255.0
: network 192.168.0.0
: broadcast 192.168.0.255
: gateway 192.168.0.1
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/sysconfig/netcard
: FULLNAME="Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]"
: DRIVER="e100"
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/resolv.conf
: nameserver 192.168.0.1
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
: # This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
: # program, probably run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
: #
: # You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single line.
: # MAC addresses must be written in lowercase.
:
: # PCI device 0x8086:0x1229 (e100)
: SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:a0:c9:6c:e1:07", NAME="eth0"
: --------------
: root@Knoppix:~# lsmod |grep e100
: e100 38792 0
: mii 9728 1 e100
: --------------
: knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cat /UNIONFS/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
: DEVICE=eth0
: IPADDR=192.168.0.49
: NETMASK=255.255.255.0
: NETWORK=192.168.0.0
: BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
: ONBOOT=yes
: --------------
TIA
Jack Tucker
Re: Can't bring up static address, redux
I'll take Harry's advice and try a different approach.
Here's what I've done today:
1) Disconnected from the internet, both machines.
2) Brought up both machines on SuSE 8.1, brought up LAN network
ping, ftp, telnet ... all work
3) shutdown one machine and re-boot with Knoppix 5.1.1
4) configure network first using "netcardconfig", fails with:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
5) shutdown and re-boot using DSL
6) configure network using "netcardconfig", ping works from both,
telnet and ftp one way (probably permissions or firewall problem)
7) shutdown and re-booted with DSL-N configure using "netcardconfig"
fails with: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
In all the set ups, I've, of course, used same addresses, etc.
My conclusion? I'm missing something required in setting up networking
with 2.6 kernel(s).
What am I failing to do in 2.6 kernel setup?
Jack
[
Re: Cannot bring up static address
Harry:
Thanks again for trying to help.
By DSL, you are correct, I meant Damn Small Linux.
The NIC is an Intel 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (Rev 2). It's
the only ethernet card on the computer I'm trying to connect.
lsmod reports that e100 module is installed.
I'll have to see if I've got any other NICs laying around and
it's a bit of a bear to get at this particular computer.
In regard to why I want to set this up statically, I only want
to use this setup for non-internet use as a stand alone LAN
and don't want to set up DHCP.
Jack
Cannot bring up static address
Harry:
I want to thank you for hanging in there with me.
I woke up this morning with a clearer head and realized
it was a simple matter to reverse the roles of the two
computers I've been using in the test; that gave me a
chance to test two NICs on the "other" computer.
Bingo! You were correct in suspecting the card. Both
cards on the second computer, a VIA VT6105 (D-LINK) and
an Accton SMC2-1211TX could be (individually) brought
up to running. Ping and other commands working.
Thanks again for your help, I'll stop banging my head
on the wall in another hour or two.
Jack