Cheatcodes and Knoppix Lang=..
Hello,
I`m new to Linux and tried to use it before but i guess i wasn't willing enough back then :)
So i`m trying to take things slow this time. I downloaded the dvd version and CD version of Knoppix 6.2.
I first installed the dvd version to my usb stick with unetbootin-windows-393 but it didn't work out so i installed the cd version without deleting the previous install. (i read that dvd has more packages installed in it, i thought this way they will remain usable. i don't know if it is true).
Anyways my first problem is changing the language of the os. I tried this way;
``Well, first you have to install your locales or reconfigure locales to use your language
(dpkg-reconfigure locales).
Then check that your language is included in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig file.
If not, add your language. These sections begins like de), fi) etc.
Then add that same language 'cheat code' to your remastering file
/KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.Master/KNOPPIX-CUSTOM/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg as lang=fi.
Notice that you use those same letters as configured in knoppix-autoconfig.
Add also your timezone to knoppix-autoconfig in that same section you have your locales.``
but when i write `dpkg-reconfigure locales` in the root terminal it says `/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locales is not installed`
i checked the language at knoppix-autoconfig which was there. also write it to iisolinux.cfg as told. But nothing changed.
I would like to try the knoppix lang= .. cheat-code but the root screen on startup passes so fast. so what am i doing wrong? and any tips for a new linux user?
I`m really sorry if this is asked before, i read a couple of threads but couldn't resolve the problem on my own.
Thanks in advance.
Do a clean 6.2 CD install, install necessary packages
It seems you have gotten the USB stick to boot, but you don't seem to have set up a persistent disk image.
You need to do that, I think, to install necessary packages. I would use the CD, simply to have fewer potential packages conflicts when installing new packages.
I use the graphical synaptic version from the preferences menu. You can then install necessary packages, like locales. That package doesn't seem to be installed by default.
You can change the default language parameter on startup by editing /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
Just start typing 'knoppix' as soon as you see the boot prompt - then you will have time to complete the command line.