I've installed Knoppix on my HD.
getting on the internet with the CD is easy as 123
but I can't find the tool to enable DHCP on the HD
Printable View
I've installed Knoppix on my HD.
getting on the internet with the CD is easy as 123
but I can't find the tool to enable DHCP on the HD
Open a root console window and enter netcardconfig and accept the use DHCP question and it will set it up.
I'm beginning to wish it never existed in the first place. :)Quote:
Originally Posted by elrak
riddle me this:
even " netcardconfig " doesn't work .
otherwise the machine performs great.
And the 2 nic's I've tried work with the live CD but not with the installation on the HD.
But even offline Knoppix is the best thing invented since sliced bread :wink:
how I got mine working was to first see if it was there with
if it's not up then bring it up withCode:ifconfig eth0
this next line restarted auto-negotiateCode:ifconfig eth0 up
you can later switch to full duplex with (probably ok now too)Code:mii-tool -r
and then after running netcardconfig and clicking dhcp everything just worked. I also had to do this from the cd so it my not be the same thing.Code:mii-tool --force=100BaseTx-FD eth0
hope it helps
[/code]
Some commands you may want to try lsmod will list the loaded modules you can check to see if the module for the network card is loaded. ifconfig will tell you the current settings in use.Quote:
Originally Posted by elrak
The settings for your network are kept in /etc/network/interfaces example configs:
For dhcp
For staticCode:auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
/etc/resolv.conf contains your nameservers.Code:auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1
After making changes in the files then /etc/init.d/networking restart will restart the network with the new settings. All commands as root in a console window.Code:search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34