Changing from default env - LANG=de_DE@euro and LANGUAGE=de
Hello so far I'm really impressed with my knoppix hdd install. Way cool!
The only real gripe left with my system was the partial english/partial german problems with man pages and some console apps.
This fix will not fix KDE, OpenOffice, etc.
So I did some searching and found where the language variables are set, now I have my system running in english as I want it to.
The fix is easy as root edit (or if necessary make) the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file and use your country's info, here is my US-english file:
LANG="en_US"
COUNTRY="US"
LANG="en_US"
LANGUAGE="en"
CHARSET="iso8859-1"
XMODIFIERS=""
Thanks goes out to everyone here that is helping out with this great distro! I was thinking (dreaming) about Mandrake 9.0 because it is gcc 3.2 compiled, but I have something much better now, I have a "debian on the edge system" that ROCKS! Knoppix rules!
L8r,
rock
Let's include it in the hdinstall script
RockMumbles,
Good work. I have sent this info to Christian Perle who is the maintainer of the knx-hdinstall script. Perhaps it will enable him to provide more language options in his install scipt.
If you have are in KDE and it is in german ...
Check out this help file Install part (7)+ for setting up KDE for english:
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html
I also select the US (or your language) keyboard from the keyboard config applet next to the clock and then close it out.
In X (kde, fluxbox, icewm. xfce, etc.) things were working in english OK, but from a console things were part german, part english.
Also see Andrew Foster's post about home directories:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297
I made a shell script from his code, I call it fix-home following is the code:
(Note: this code is all one line)
#!/bin/sh
for i in `grep -rlis \/home\/knoppix ~`; do perl -p -i -e "s/\/home\/knoppix/\/home\/$1/g" "$i"; done
you could cut the code from this page and paste it into an editor that does not word wrap, make sure the " for ... ... done " is all one line, and then as as root move it to /usr/local/bin, then made it executable by:
chmod 755 /usr/local/fix-home
You can run it as root by typing:
fix-home user-name
where user-name is the user-name for the user directory you want to fix. Or you can run it in a console logged in as the user.
HTH,
rock