SOS - stuck in a desert and I broke KNOPPIX :(
Hey
Am in a desert (Saudi Arbaia) for 3 months and using my work laptop and my trusty knoppix pendrive.
This morning I switched it on to download GoT, and like a royal plonker forgot to plug the laptop in, so coming back from work I realised I had most likely trashed my pendrive.
NOW, when I try to boot I get this:
mount: mounting unionfs on /UNIONFS failed: No Space left on device
/init: exec: line 1022: /sbin/init: not found
I KNOW the 'no space left on device' is NOT to do with downloading GoT, as I had on a previous occasion accidentally knocked the pendrive out, and had the same error occur. That time, after throwing my rattles out the pram I begrudgingly made a new pen drive, this time in a desert I DONT have that option.
I have looked at another post somewhere, where the advice was as follows:
a) Boot KNOPPIX CD, first run dosfsck or fsck.vfat and so on on the VFAT partition to check for possible VFAT corruption
b) Boot from KNOPPIX CD, manually cloop-mount the flash KNOPPIX compressed image, to see if that is possible to see the problem this way.
c) Boot from KNOPPIX CD, e2fsck on knoppix-data.img to check for corruption and possible loop mount it manually and check for corruption.
Being a mere mortal, I dont understand this or know how to do this and the post I read didnt provide any direction on how to do this.
Is there anyone out there who can help me please? Can I recover my pendrive? I'm not stupid but I do need a numpty's guide!!
Much obliged if you read this far!
pastaman
(p.s. think its version 7.05 I am using)
now with persistence issues
Thanks for your response!
Unfortunately I have basic noob understanding and had no idea how to execute these work arounds.
In the end I gave up and made a new live usb install (version 7.2).
I now have two issues that will make you think I am truely on another planet type ret4rd!
1) For the life of me I cant find how to make a new post on knoppix forums, days of looking and I cant find the effing post button. wtf!?
2) I cant work out how to make the drive persistent. All previous versions would give me the option on boot up to make knoppix pen persistent. This version 7.2 does no such thing and I have not been able to find anywhere on the net that gives a simple how to on this, for 7.2. Any chance you could be so kind as to help a muppet out?
I looked at this on gparted thinking maybe I needed to make a new partition but the whold disk seems to be used, surely the amount of used space should have been around 700mb.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
p.s. I know this is strictly the wrong place to post but, see issue 1)!