This is a grat hacking tool
I know i am not the only one that uses this
But is it great or what
you put the cd in on a machine that has windows 2000 you boot
bypassing all the log on security, the cd even mounts the local drive
you go to the local drive and you can copy, atache file in an e-mail
basicly take what you want from the drive
IS THAT GREAT OR WHAT,
i tesed it on two windows 2000 machine and i even got finacial files from one of my servers at work
This is cool
re: This is a grat hacking tool
hmm...
a couple of "great" observations...
if the physical security is so poor that the janitor can boot up a knoppix cd on your servers... yes, you are in big trouble. however, it that IS the case, you have bigger problems than you know...
however, assuming you ARE the sysadmin getting paid to retrieve files from a crashed financial server, you have a better disaster recovery solution than you could have ever dreamed of...
standalone system security is only going to be as good as the firewall you have guarding the door...
to ask politely, please quit trolling. this forum (thus far) has been for people seeking answers to technical quesitons to specific questions, concerns, queries, etc.
Re: This is a grat hacking tool
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieben
i tesed it on two windows 2000 machine and i even got finacial files from one of my servers at work
This is cool
I'm assuming that you don't normally have permission to grab these files. Why would you expect anyone here to get excited about that? It would be nice for you to use this "hacking tool" to show your admin where his/her security holes are.
Knoppix CD as a rescue tool.
I am interested in this topic - though not from the point of view of cracking and stealing, but more from rescuing friends from locked computers, et al.
I tried this on my machines - As we know, with the Knoppix cd, W2K login screens can be bypassed so long as the BIOS is set to boot from CD. But that is easy enough to do simply by configuring it during startup. The solution then, is to password-protect the BIOS. Hence my question:
How truly secure is a password-protected BIOS? I wouldn't expect to see 99 out of 100 computers outside of a corporate environment secured with a password-protected BIOS, and from what I've seen in some of the corporations, I don't think there are too many there either. So does LINUX have a way to beat the BIOS password? Because now that I have my passwords set in BIOS, what else do I have to do to prevent that from being penetrated?
Once again, I would like to stress this is not in the interest of cracking. I don't wish to spend a portion of my life in Federal or State prison. :) It seems to me that a Knoppix disc would be a handy tool for a helpdesk or computer department, (With the Superiors' permission and knowledge of course!) in order to get back into the machines that workers are bound to crash.
My next experiment is to try getting into a 'crashed' W2K system to see how far I can get with the Knoppix disc. The question there would be, depending on the crash, how much could I rescue or, is it normal to be able use Linux to recover files from a crashed W2K system.
I suspect it won't be too long before I get a call from a friend with a crashed-out W2K system. I'm looking forward to posting my results here.