installing cable internet with 3com etherlink
Hi, i just installed Knoppix to my hd a few hours ago.. now im trying to get internet up & running. I am a complete Linux n00b so please be clear/simple in your answers :p
I have 2 network cards in my pc. a Realtek RTL8139 PCI fast ethernet adapter for LAN use, while the 3com Etherlink XL PCI TPO NIC (3C900B-TPO) is used to connect to the internet (cable running from it straight to my cable modem)
First thing i tried was to run PPOEconf :
the program says i have 2 adapters: eth0 and eth1
i click OK & after some loading i get :
"Sorry I scanned 1 interface,but the Access contrentator of your provider did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be another running PPPoe process which controls the modem"
next thing i did was running netcardconfig:
I select either eth0 or eth1
It asks me if i want to use DHCP broadcast (i have no idea what that is)
yes-> the program stops
no -> It asks for :
-IP address for eth0/eth1
-network mask
-broadcast address
-default gateway
-nameservers
I have no idea what to fill in anywhere..
I'm also pretty sure i have to use a proxy server, so i configered that already in the controlcentre to "http://proxy.pandora.be:8080"
I hope u have enough info so i can get some help ?
Thx
Re: installing cable internet with 3com etherlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWax
I have 2 network cards in my pc. a Realtek RTL8139 PCI fast ethernet adapter for LAN use, while the 3com Etherlink XL PCI TPO NIC (3C900B-TPO) is used to connect to the internet (cable running from it straight to my cable modem)
OK if you have a cable modem then you most likely use DHCP. Did your ISP tell you that you would always use a certain i.p. address?
Quote:
First thing i tried was to run PPOEconf :
the program says i have 2 adapters: eth0 and eth1
i click OK & after some loading i get :
You don't need to use PPPOE
Quote:
next thing i did was running netcardconfig:
I select either eth0 or eth1
It asks me if i want to use DHCP broadcast (i have no idea what that is)
yes-> the program stops
no -> It asks for :
-IP address for eth0/eth1
-network mask
-broadcast address
-default gateway
-nameservers
I have no idea what to fill in anywhere..
netcardconfig should return output that looks like this:
Code:
sudo netcardconfig
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK.
auto lo eth0
Quote:
I'm also pretty sure i have to use a proxy server, so i configered that already in the controlcentre to "http://proxy.pandora.be:8080"
I hope u have enough info so i can get some help ?
Thx
When I use a proxy I also enter it into the Control Center. Under Proxy> make sure PROXY is checked and Manually Specified Settings>Setup>
HTTP: http://proxy.pandora.be Port 8080
HTTPS: http://proxy.pandora.be Port 8080
Now see if you have an i.p. address:
ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:B5:FC:E6:28
inet addr:16.112.146.102 Bcast:16.112.191.255 Mask:255.255.192.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:277298 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:27
TX packets:1994 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:44 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:78556476 (74.9 MiB) TX bytes:336051 (328.1 KiB)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0x300
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:752 (752.0 b) TX bytes:752 (752.0 b)
Do you have an i.p. address now? See if you can ping.