"Upgrade" from 2003-06-06 to 2003-07-26 available
Here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18494
Nickh describes his program, which can be run from the 0606er Knoppix to gen togehter with the 130 MB patchset the new version.
You need to have ~ 2 Gigs of Harddiskspace though for swapfile and uncompressed image + patch, as it needs to be recompressed.
Patch and program is available from:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/2003-07-26/knoppixpatch/
as primary mirror.
cu
Fabian
PS: Hope that are good news for low-bandwidth users!
Original version without patch
The latest development release is here:
ftp://ftp.nickhill.co.uk/pub/knoppixpatch.tgz
If you wish to submit improvements, or wish to create new patches, please use this version.
I have improved the documentation.
The resultant ISO is NOT a bit-perfect copy of the original. You therefore cannot compare it using an MD5SUM.
However, all the files in the live file system and all the smaller files on the CD are bit-perfect. In fact, the uncompressed live file system is bit-perfect. You can therefore patch an already patched version of Knoppix using a patch made against Klaus' original version.
The MD5SUM resulting from:
dd if=/dev/cloop | md5sum
will be the same for a patched version and Klaus' original version.
Problems in patching 2003-06-06 to 2003-07-26
Hi,
I have been trying to patch my Knoppix 2003-06-06 version to 2003-07-26 and have had several failed attempts so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the following issues. :cry:
My system is PIII 850Mhz
256Mb Ram
Hda Dual Booting Win 98 & W2K (4 partitions - 1 NTFS and 3 vfat)
Hde (3 partitions - 1 linux Swap and 2 vfat)
DVD Drive (bootable)
CDR Drive
Hde7 has the most free space so that is where I placed the Patch archive that I down loaded and have been trying to work from.
I have followed Nick's instructions as per the readme.
First I boot as Knoppix single then mount Hde7 (the readme says Hda1 which I subsitute to Hde7), extracted the archive. The first attempt I had used the partition that I had setup as Linux swap file and this caused problems when I went to create the swap file on Hde7 as per the readme.
The 2nd attempt I Booted as Knoppix single and noswap this worked Ok and I was able to start the patch application (./applypatch).
Everything was looking good until it got to:
Applying patches and concatenating to filesys.knoppixpatch
rm: cannot remove "filesys.knoppixpatch" No such file or directory
After a while it continued the process and seemed to be going Ok until it got to the mkisofs which started and then came up with this error
Uh.Oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory "Knoppix"
Deleting: swapfile
swapoff: swapfile: Invalid argument
Deleting ISO Folder
I am a relative newbie at the command line side of Linux I have more used the GUI so I am a bit losted as what I should be doing. In writing this I was wondering if the patching script has something refering to Hda1 and that maybe where I am going wrong the only problem I have less than a Gig free on hda1.
Also no this sytem it took about 2.5 hours to go through the whole process does that sound normal?
I look forward to any suggestions
Regards
Pete
Re: Problems in patching 2003-06-06 to 2003-07-26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelman
Everything was looking good until it got to:
Applying patches and concatenating to filesys.knoppixpatch
rm: cannot remove "filesys.knoppixpatch" No such file or directory
I ignored this error message.
Quote:
After a while it continued the process and seemed to be going Ok until it got to the mkisofs which started and then came up with this error
Uh.Oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory "Knoppix"
Deleting: swapfile
swapoff: swapfile: Invalid argument
Deleting ISO Folder
I encountered this error while using a partition size of 2.5 GB. When I used a 5 gb partition(note:vfat partition) this was gone. And before I forget use the CLI. by 'knoppix 2' at the boot prompt. Since this process is memory intensive,this helps .
Quote:
I am a relative newbie at the command line side of Linux I have more used the GUI so I am a bit losted as what I should be doing. In writing this I was wondering if the patching script has something refering to Hda1 and that maybe where I am going wrong the only problem I have less than a Gig free on hda1.
Also no this sytem it took about 2.5 hours to go through the whole process does that sound normal?
Mine took almost 3.5 hours.
Re: Problems in patching 2003-06-06 to 2003-07-26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelman
Hi,
I have been trying to patch my Knoppix 2003-06-06 version to 2003-07-26 and have had several failed attempts so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the following issues. :cry:
Everything was looking good until it got to:
Applying patches and concatenating to filesys.knoppixpatch
rm: cannot remove "filesys.knoppixpatch" No such file or directory
After a while it continued the process and seemed to be going Ok until it got to the mkisofs which started and then came up with this error
Uh.Oh, I cant find the boot catalog directory "Knoppix"
Deleting: swapfile
swapoff: swapfile: Invalid argument
Deleting ISO Folder
I am a relative newbie at the command line side of Linux I have more used the GUI so I am a bit losted as what I should be doing. In writing this I was wondering if the patching script has something refering to Hda1 and that maybe where I am going wrong the only problem I have less than a Gig free on hda1.
Also no this sytem it took about 2.5 hours to go through the whole process does that sound normal?
The script doesn't depend on hda1. It does depend on a lot of hdd space.
If you can't find the boot catalog, it is likely the CD root filesystem has not been created. This may happen if the tar file which 'applypatch' creates is not bit perfect with the version of Knoppix the patch was created from. The current common patch set was created from an EN version of the disk. if you are starting from a DE version, you will need a patch file specifically for that. version.
The amount of time taken depends heavily on your hardware. If you have DMA set up ont he CD and hard drive, the process will be much quicjker than without.