-
errors with ALSA
I have an onboard soundcard in my computer with the SiS 7012 chipset.
I've been having problems with the OSS driver playing Mp3s too fast and read that installing the ALSA drivers can fix this.
Following the advice of this page:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...odule=intel8x0
I downloaded ALSA from CVS.
the driver compiled fine and installed no problem
the utils installed likewise without a flaw
however when trying to ./cvscompile the alsa-libs I got the following error:
rawmidi_virt.c: In function `_snd_rawmidi_virt_open':
rawmidi_virt.c:449: `pinfo' undeclared (first use in this function)
rawmidi_virt.c:449: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
rawmidi_virt.c:449: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [rawmidi_virt.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/knoppix/alsa/alsa-lib/src/rawmidi'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/knoppix/alsa/alsa-lib/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
can anyone explain what this means, and suggest a possible workaround for this?
thanks
-
I only installed Knoppix a few days ago so am hardly an expert, but why are you installing Alsa? It is already there in v3.2 at least. I have a sound chip quite similar to yours, which was not detected on installation (AD1980 6-Channel on an Asus p4p800-vm). However, running
# alsa_snddevices
# alsa_init
correctly configured the system and loaded all drivers (intel_i8x0 and dependencies).
There is a still a bit of a gotcha here however. For this chip/m-board sound channels 'PCM' and 'Surround' have to be unmuted/turned up to get sound out. Non-Alsa mixers like kmix do not have a surround channel, so can't turn it on. You have to use an Alsa specific mixer (e.g. alsamixer in an xterm, or gamix) which display a 'surround' slider.
Later: discovered the 'knoppix alsa' cheat code for booting the CD. Sound was configured perfectly straight away. Nice.