Running multiple Knoppix versions from 1 CD?
Hi folks,
I'm trying to run both Knoppix and Pilot/Linux from one CD, but I'm having no sucess. Here's my scenario: In the root directory of my bootable CD, I have both Knoppix folders (directories)...one I called Knoppix, the other called Morphix. I found a similar discussion and post(s) ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4229 ) that seem to indicate that to run multiples versions of Knoppix, you simply need to modify the linuxrc file from:
insmod /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
to
insmod /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/$CLOOP_FILE (or I'm assuming in my case- /MORPHIX/KNOPPIX)
I'm having two problems: 1.) My linuxrc file doesn't have a "insmod /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX" entry, it only has a "insmod -f /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/base/morphix" entry and 2.) When I try to run Pilot/Linux, it starts O.K...but then seems to mount the OTHER Knoppix filesystem instead of the one I really want! :shock:
Suggestions???
Thanks,
Craig
Running multiple Knoppix versions from 1 CD?
Hi jch,
If you could send me a copy of your linuxrc file, that would be helpful. Also, if you could tell me which line(s) you had to modify to make it work? (What did they look like before you modified them, and what do they look like now) As I mentioned, I found it odd that the post(s) that I referred to mentioned an entry like:
"insmod /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX"
and the default linuxrc file doesn't have an entry like this at all that I see.
Thank you for your help! :D
Craig
Running multiple Knoppix versions from 1 CD?
Hi jch,
I don't quite understand your instructions - Are you saying...
Step 1- When I boot from the floppy, at the "boot" prompt type- knoppix 2
(and Knoppix should boot from the CD)
Step 2- When I boot from the floppy, at the "boot" prompt type- knoppix 2 knoppixdir=1, and Knoppix should boot from the harddisk...What does the "knoppixdir=1" command mean??? The knoppix 2 is a knoppix "cheatcode" for Runlevel 2, isn't it???
Step 3- I don't understand this instruction at all, "Put morphix file in \KNOPPIX2\KNOPPIX and try knoppix 2 knoppixdir=2. I think if I knew the knoppix syntax you're referring to, it would dawn on me.
You mentioned in your earlier post to modify the linuxrc file like:
"boot: knoppix lang=fr 2 knoppixdir=3 noapm ...
will make knoppix search the knoppix file in /dev/hd|sd|??/knoppix3/knoppix "
I've looked at your linuxrc file, but I don't see where the knoppixdir= entry is at all. Do you mean the "KNOPPIXDIRCMDLINE=" entry??? Can you tell me where these entries are that you're referring to in your linuxrc file that you modified???
Thank you for your help!
Craig
Running multiple Knoppix versions from 1 CD?
Hi jch,
Let me see if I can clarify myself, also. Yes, I want to run multiple versions of Knoppix (or Morphix, etc.) from the CD, not a HD. Basically, what I am trying to do is figure out which file I need to modify to have my CD do automatically, what you do manually. In other words, when your Knoppix boots, you type: knoppix knoppixdir=xxx or whatever. What I'm trying to do if figure out which file (I think it's the linuxrc, isn't it?) I need to modify so that the correct version of Knoppix boots, without my needing to type: knoppix knoppixdir=1 or 2 or...whatever. Here's my current CD setup: The bootable CD that I'm running Knoppix from has a menu I have created which has an entry for Knoppix and in my case Pilot Linux (a Morphix version). Again, I want to modify the file(s) in Knoppix and Pilot Linux so when I boot the CD, I simply pick one of these two from the menu...and the correct one will boot. Again, to recap-do you know which file(s) I need to modify (is it just the linuxrc ?), and what entries in the file need to be changed? Thank you for your help!
Best Regards,
Craig