custom knoppix halts at creating directories on ramdisk
Hello, I remastered a knoppix in the following way:
I took the small knix cd, removed even more of the software on the iso, installed gcc and compiled some newer software. This all went fine, I burned a new knoppix cd and it booted.
Now i wanted to change the kernel:
I compiled a new kernel, 2.4.22; it has support for ramdrive and vesafb; generic IDE and scsi_generic for cdrom. I compiled cloop 0.68 ( that one seems to work best with the cd?) for my kernel, and replaced it with cloop.o in miniroot.gz, and removed the scsi modules ( I dont need them) adjusted some config files correspondently ( boot with us keymap, etc)
put the img on a floppy, it booted my older knoppix cd's with that just fine ( of course it couldnt use the kernel modules and so on, but I got to a shell)
Now, I customized the KNOPPIX image, to have the right kernel modules and software, and put it all on cd; the cd boots, but doesn't seem to go beyond this point:
Creating /ramdisk(dynamic size=996020k) on /dev/shm...Done.
Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk....
here it just keeps blinking.
with a bootfloppy (either one, the official too) it's the same
where does this go wrong? is there something I missed out on the kernel configure( I thought not, the floppy booted just fine) or a faillure in the compressed image, or some software package I thought I could remove? or did the burning software make a faulty cd..? I used Nero (windows)to burn the ISO image since I don't have a burner in my machine ( but one on the network does)
If anyone can give me a hint, please. I've been rebooting many times now ;)
MvH
live just got more complicated
Ok, here is to this:
I wanted to double check my story, so I
1. created a fresh bootfloppy from the original cd.
2. booted with the floppy and my custom cd
3. I booted directly into knoppix with my modifications
so...the cd was OK
then I did:
copy my custom kernel and a fresh cloop.o to the *working* boot floppy
booted with the floppy and the original cd
...and booted straight into knoppix
then I tried:
booting with the custom floppy AND the custom cd...got stuck again as described above
so, where does it go wrong? is it a module that gets insmodded and hangs the system?
someting else? I'm at the end here.
ciao
mvh