-
Cant start samba
Hi, i just did the HD install of knoppix 3.3 9/22/03, and when i try and do "sambastart" i get:
root@trogdor:~# sambastart
FATAL ERROR!
This Knoppix script must not be run on a regular system.
Aborting.
root@trogdor:~#
I have tried this logged on as root, and my normal user. When i try and use the nifty little samba start button under the knoppix menu, it asks for a password, but then doesnt bring up that other option box that is supposed to come up after you put in the password. Also, has anyone successufuly installed cacti in knoppix? Thanks
-
I am having the same problem, I believe it may have something to do with how the machine was setup.
domain issue?
I have been experimenting with Knoppix for about a week, I have it installed under VM-Ware and just about everything runs fine.
I am about to install it on an older win95 laptop that I no longer use
-
Code:
knoppix@1[~]$ head /usr/sbin/sambastart
#!/bin/bash
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin"
export PATH
if [ ! -d /KNOPPIX/etc ] ; then
echo -e "FATAL ERROR!\nThis Knoppix script must not be run on a regular system.\nAborting."
exit 1
fi
knoppix@1[~]$
The sambastart program is a Knoppix specific program that is designed to run from the CD/DVD & is not at all intended to be run from a HD installed Knoppix system. That "if [ ! -d /KNOPPIX/etc ]" piece checks to see if it is running from the CD/DVD, and if it is not then it quits with that error message.
If you need to run samba, then look into using a samba tutorial.