Reinstalling lilo bootloader
I've been using Knoppix besides other OS (Windows) on my laptop and used the lilo bootloader.
Now I installed a third OS (XP) on my machine and now the Windows Bootloader is started and is not showing Knoppix.
For this kind of problems I created a linux boot disk but for some reason the floppy is corrupted. ;-(
How can I reinstall the lilo bootloader in the MBR?
I've all the info about the lilo.conf available.
Summary of lilo.conf
....
root=dev/hda6
....
default=W2KPROF
image=boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
.....
other=/dev/hda1
label="W2KPROF"
Summary of question:
How can I reinstall the lilo bootloader, so I can boot all my OS's (W2K, WXP and Linux).
All help is more than welcome...
Re: Reinstalling lilo bootloader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstrange
How can I reinstall the lilo bootloader, so I can boot all my OS's (W2K, WXP and Linux).
I think that when you want to boot several windows versions it's best to use
the MS boot loader, but add linux entries to it. In your case I would:
- boot off the knoppix CD in console mode ("knoppix 2")
cd /tmp
dd if=/dev/hda6 of=hda6.bs count=1
insert a formatted floppy
mcopy hda6.bs a:
reboot under windows
copy the hda6.bs file from the floppy to your c:\
edit the (hidden, system) c:\boot.ini file
in the [operating systems] section, add the following line:
c:\hda6.bs="Knoppix"
I am using a floppy because I am assuming your C: unit is NTFS and you
cannot directly write to it from knoppix/linux.