-
"Missing" modem
My PC uses Windows XP with a "Blaster" modem from Creative.
Having booted from the Knoppix CD, attempts to use the internet are met with the error message that the "dev/modem" can't be found and that I should ensure that the modem is correctly configured, set up or whatever.
With XP there is no problem. I am discouraged from using Knoppix because of this constant problem :( . Is this modem not compatible? Do I need to obtain a different driver?
What is a "Winmodem"?
-
I am a newbie too and my internet doesn't work too ;)
but reading other posts i heard, that some modems(the winmodems you are asking about) don't have all the functionality on theyr hardware and are meant to be used with windows which does the remaining part of stuff on software base.
So i suppose you (as well as me) have to get a proper modem...
Still, i just wanted to start a thread about a similar topic: I wonder if there is no possibility to run a winmodem with some driver or emulator or whatever! Perhaps some 'older' user can answer that?
Hope that helped!
-
Hi,
search this forum for winmodem or go to www.linmodems.org
Ciao Martin
-
Sorry, just as you posted this i found some answers in this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1721
Now you only have to find out if your modem is indeed a winmodem, but i think this is very probable...
-