Re: Linux Folder Structure
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksps
Ok, I know noone will be able to post the full info here.
Is there anyone who can point me in a direction find out what each of the folder mean and do?
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._crfilest.html
Quote:
I've worked out a few, I've been installing extra bits like limeware and amsn etc. but would like to know I'm installing to the right folders etc. I've been pretty much making it up as I go along, and while this works, it will make it awkward as I learn more about linux and try manually configuring bits.
Thanks
:) Keep Smiling :)
If you use Debian and dpkg then fret not your apps will be installed to the correct folders. If you build from source simply read the README and/or INSTALL and anything else you may find within to know where to install it to.
Re: Linux Folder Structure
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksps
...but would like to know I'm installing to the right folders etc. I've been pretty much making it up as I go along, and while this works, it will make it awkward as I learn more about linux and try manually configuring bits.
Thanks
:) Keep Smiling :)
You should really learn to use apt-get to install stuff. Isn't it the main reason people want to use debian in the first place? For a quick overview check out http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/de...l/ch-dpkg.html It's WELL worth your effort.