Configure MBR for knoppix 3.1 + windows XP on same hda ?
Hi there !
Well I installed knoppix 3.1 on my system with LILO and guess what ?!! Lost my windows. Ok rehabilitated Win2K with fixmbr.
I want help on how to configure GRUB for knoppix 3.1+Win2K/XP.My limitations are:
a) I am a newbie.
b) There is only one physical HDD in my system (hda).
c)I DESPERATELY WANT KNOPPIX ON MY SYSTEM :(
Please help me out configure GRUB. HELP!!
>> Amity << :idea:
Re: Configure MBR for knoppix 3.1 + windows XP on same hda ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity
Hi there !
Well I installed knoppix 3.1 on my system with LILO and guess what ?!! Lost my windows. Ok rehabilitated Win2K with fixmbr.
I want help on how to configure GRUB for knoppix 3.1+Win2K/XP.My limitations are:
a) I am a newbie.
b) There is only one physical HDD in my system (hda).
c)I DESPERATELY WANT KNOPPIX ON MY SYSTEM :(
Please help me out configure GRUB. HELP!!
>> Amity << :idea:
Just install GRUB/lilo to your linux partition(not MBR, I don't know why people like to recommend installing to MBR, that may be true for the old Win9x days, not for NT/XP etc. as it can happily chain booting boot sectors saved on file). Then do the following(assuming hda1 is your windows partition, hda2 is your linux partition and hda1 is FAT32).
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
EDIT /mnt/tmp/boot.ini and add the following line :
c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"
and you are done.