Open letter to Mr. Klaus Knopper
Today you released another version of your acclaimed Knoppix live cd, the third new release in just a few weeks (or maybe even 4, I'm loosing count).
I feel you're not really doing anyone a big service like this, least of all the universities that so kindly have offered to mirror the Knoppix iso's.
In my perception the current release speed will also do other damage: people might start wondering if there's maybe little attention for bugfixing before releases for one, and if this release flurry would be aimed at keeping Knoppix high on the news sections of the best visited Linux websites, and getting reviews all the time, I'm afraid that over time this will backfire as well.
Users and webmasters alike will possibly tire of mr. Knoppers many releases, most of those not changing anything substantial at all in the product.
And I must admit that this isn't something I would like to see happening to Knoppix. It's a great live CD, and I guess that many people try to install Knoppix on their harddisk as well. It does a great job in promoting Linux, and I really feel Knoppix can make a difference for Linux as an instrument to get Joe Average to look at Linux for an alternative to his Windows box.
So please mr. Knopper (if you read this forum at all), rethink your release flurry tactics, and go back to a reasonable release calendar.
With one release every three months or so you'd still beat each and every distro out there in terms of being "bleeding edge" , and your releases would attract far more attention then they do now.
A few final thoughts: if you really intend to further the "Linux Case" with your Knoppix product, then I feel you would be wise to put a little effort into making Knoppix easier to install to harddisk, with some nice and solid gui installer that offers some choice to the user, and if you really want to "corner the market" then some upgrade utility for users to upgrade their Knoppix installation from a knoppix repository would be an awesome tool.
kind regards
Paul V
Re: Open letter to Mr. Klaus Knopper
To all that have posted.
Very interesting reading, I agree with both sides in one way or another.
Important points:
1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_nl
It does a great job in promoting Linux, and I really feel Knoppix can make a difference for Linux as an instrument to get Joe Average to look at Linux for an alternative to his Windows box.
I agree with that totally, I am one for example. Since I have used Knoppix, I have gone on to install 5 or 6 different distros (or attempted to)
2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_nl
A few final thoughts: if you really intend to further the "Linux Case" with your Knoppix product, then I feel you would be wise to put a little effort into making Knoppix easier to install to harddisk, with some nice and solid gui installer that offers some choice to the user, and if you really want to "corner the market" then some upgrade utility for users to upgrade their Knoppix installation from a knoppix repository would be an awesome tool.
I agree with this too, because distros are sometimes picky and usually take two tries (from my experience) to get installed. What I think is really needed on the knoppix disk (or someone else to create a "knewbix" distro for newbie Linux from Windows converts, that will include XPde, tons of games and gnucash and stuff that will make new converts see the full open source deal and never want to go back.)
3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pau1knopp
Yes, you could consider it annoying OR you can always look at the changelog and see if you think it's worth the d/l time. I always burn mine to CDRW so that I don't fill up a landfill with toxic coasters.
I never thought of using a CD/RW!!! Thanks, that will save lots of landfill and money. I have made 4 Knoppix cds so far (one didn't work) and I agree, if you don't want to DL it DON'T!!! I myself have wondered if going through another DL and burn is worth the effort.
Sorry, I didn't take sides but I saw good points from both sides.
Re: Open letter to Mr. Klaus Knopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_nl
In my perception the current release speed will also do other damage: people might start wondering if there's maybe little attention for bugfixing before releases for one, and if this release flurry would be aimed at keeping Knoppix high on the news sections of the best visited Linux websites, and getting reviews all the time, I'm afraid that over time this will backfire as well.
Users and webmasters alike will possibly tire of mr. Knoppers many releases, most of those not changing anything substantial at all in the product.
Have you been using Knoppix very long? Klaus has followed this kind of release schedule for years. Towards the beginning of this year he released something like 3 or 4 releases in 3 or 4 days. Only recently he's slowed down quite a bit. Perhaps you have taken that recent slowdown to be the norm. In any event Klaus has made frequent releases for some time and this hasn't resulted in any of the deleterious effects you have listed. If anything, it has helped Knoppix.
As far as the install tools go, Klaus really doesn't write these himself. Other Knoppix contribitors write them. For example Fabian Franz is responsible for the relatively new installer. So as the previous poster said, if someone wants some extra install or config tools to go along with Knoppix, then they should help write them.
Re: Open letter to Mr. Klaus Knopper
Well Paul,
if someone constantly gets to the front of news pages. because of the service
he gives to the community, this is perfectly OK with me.
You, on the other hand, sound like someone who wants to make it to the front of
a newssite at least once, and knows he'll never do it for something he's created
himself.
Granted, there are worse ways of doing it, like what former Caldera is doing
right now.
Paul, I'm sorry if I'm right.
Kind regards,
Ingo
Re: Open letter to Mr. Klaus Knopper
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iho
Granted, there are worse ways of doing it, like what former Caldera is doing
right now.
Ingo
You refer to SCO. That companie should burn in hell. I have some jet fule to donate to get the fire going. :D
Release Early, Release Often