Re: Upgrading manually glibc
Quote:
Originally Posted by takamine
Hi
Since I am a total newbie to linux :oops: I was wondering how do I shutdown xdm and kdm and continue the upgrade without having to download all the files again ?
Thanks.[/i]
When you either first login or having logged out from KDE at the login screen choose the menu option and then console login login with your normal user name and password then use su enter the root password to become root. To stop kdm type /etc/init.d/kdm stop for xdm if it is running /etc/init.d/xdm stop then dselect update to update the apt/dselect database most of the packages should already be in the the apt cache if anything has changed just the changes will be downloaded again the proceed with the dist-upgrade. To get back to the KDE login screen again either restart or start kdm /etc/init.d/kdm (re)start and you now can login back in as your normal user. BTW you do not really need to dist-upgrade you can use apt-get upgrade to upgrade just the packages that you have installed.